Anyone having problems with sick goats in the NW Oregon area

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by milkcreek ridge, Nov 29, 2009.

1. milkcreek ridge

milkcreek ridge New Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Mulino, Oregon
    Anyone else having problems with sick goats in the NW?
    Anyone having problems with pneumonia, with anemic goats, worms, lice, diahrrea? I have had all this stuff this year and can't get rid of the sicknesses. Help!!!! :shrug: :hair: :help:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    pneumonia is pretty bad this year in the NE

Personally I would get a fecal done to check for all kinds of worms and cocci. This way you can treat accordingly and not just what you think it might be. Not all wormers take care of every kind of worm problem and many times wormers have become ineffective due to over use when not needed. Coccidia is also a huge problem and can cause serious damage to the internal digestive track of a goat. There are many kinds of cocci treatment btu again knowing what you are dealing with will greatly aid you in treating properly.

Any dog or cat vet can run a fecal (stool sample) and then if you are unsure just ask us what wormer or cocci med would be good for the worms or cocci eggs present in your animal.

You do not need to run fecals on all your goats but just one or two -- if one has it more then likely they all do especially those showing signs.

3. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    I haven't had any of the problems your having this year. Are you having problems with kids, adults or both? BTW, I live in Western Washington, not Oregon. Our weather is just about the same :roll:

I guess I would be asking why the goats are having these symptoms? Like Stacey said it's a good idea to have fecals ran on them. Do you ever quarantine the sick ones to see if that protects the others from getting sick?

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree, get a fecal sample to the vet and see what you need to be treating for.

The problem is so many people treat for worms and have no idea what kind they should be treating for, and they over do it.

I hate to say it but you might have to take them to the vet and have blood drawn and see if they are really anemic or not. I have a few goats that have lighter eye (pink area) then the others.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.. :thumbup: .. have a fecal done....also check for cocci..... cocci or worms can cause scouring and anemia...when their systems are down like that... pneumonia kicks in.... Also if your temps are as odd as ours ...real warm in the day and cold at night can also cause pneumonia.....getting a fecal done will tell you exactly what they have and what should be used to treat them.....to get rid of the problem and make put them back to good health again...good luck and let us know what the outcome is.....

As for the lice ......there are two types...biting and sucking ........giving oral Ivomac kills one kind....while the other ......you have to inject them...... :wink:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    No, we haven't been having any problems with that this year and we are very close (maybe an hour away). I treated a couple kids for coccidia but most of them were just fine without. I would definitely see about a fecal.

7. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Hi neighbor!!
    Last year was a stinker for me in the great NW!!
    We had terrible coughing and sickies..turned out we got
    a goat with pasterella...didn't find out till after she was
    put to sleep..did the 2nd nasal swab and waalaa...
    she was positive..then I knew what the problem was..
    Thankfully that is over!! but with our rainy season here,
    you can count on coccidia, and all kinds of icky parasites
    so yea..fecals for sure!!
    Hope you figger out your problem!!

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Victoria do you now vaccinate for pasturella?

9. milkcreek ridge

Nov 20, 2009
    Mulino, Oregon
    I am vaccinating for pasturella now. I am also giving my goats the Copasure bolus (copper), I hope I have better look with these guys now. I also treated one of my sick goats from cocci and he is doing alot better now, so that must of been what was wrong with him.

Thanks for all the advice everyone :) I really appreciate it

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You are very welcome...glad they are getting better.... :hug: :wink:

11. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon

Yep...sure do, I admit I was on the " I ain't vaccinating for nothin" wagon for a long time till I dealt with pasturella. I still hate vaccinating, for anything, I know it's hard on the animal's system they weren't created to have foreign substances in their little bodies. But everything in balance. I have just a few goats, and small place for them, so it is best for them...
    I remember how thrilled Dr. James Harriett was when they first invented vaccines, poor guy was vetting all those years with no help, no antibiotics!! That would of been tough!!
    Anyway, kind of long answer there eh Stacey... :greengrin:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    at what point did you vaccinate and with what exactly?

I am TIRED of this and I had purchased a goat who was vaccinated for pasturella before i bought her and she never got sick even with goat snot being rubbed on her by her close buddy!

So I want to vaccinate mine and yes I know its pasturella since the whole goat show participants got sick and some exhibitors lost goats and their vet said it was pasturella. I personally have not had my goats nasal swabbed but I am 99.99% sure thats what they have.

13. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    I have (Haemophilus Somnus-Mannheimia
    Haemolytica-Pasteurella Multocida Bacterian...)
    Its 2mg per ml ..Goats get 1 ml IM and then repeat in 21 days
    and then yearly..
    I need to look it up in the book for kids if you want to
    know I will look it up on Thursday at work..
    I do make sure kids I sell are vaccinated and the 2nd time
    before they leave my place..silent pneumonia...
    it did kill a little doe kid a year ago on a friends farm
    looking back now, I know that is what it was..so so sad...
    Hope that answers your ?

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thank you very much -- jeffers just has so many I am not sure which to get - the cheeper one is labeled for goats but doesnt say if it is safe for pregnant goats (which mine are) but the more expensive ones say one dose and are safe for pregnant cows but arent labeled for goats :GAAH:

I dont care the price! its knowing what is safe for my babies and their unborn babies that makes me battle this one out most

I will look up that specific one you used -- did you use it on pregnant goats?

15. milkcreek ridge

Nov 20, 2009
    Mulino, Oregon
    I gave mine the same stuff and I gave them 2 ml each time. :)

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ok found two that have some of those names in it haha

Pulmo-Guardâ„¢ PHM-1

Mannheimia Haemolytica, Pasteurella Multocida Bacterin, Toxoid

(Boehringer Ingleheim)
    Approved for use in healthy cattle of all ages. Inject 2ml SQ in the front of the shoulder and midway of the neck away from the suprascapular lymph node. Although only a single dose is necessary to confer active immunity, a booster dose is recommended 21 days prior to subsequent stress. Annual revaccination is recommended to protect against the upper respiratory tract infection. No antibiotic restrictions. 60-day slaughter withdrawal.

Vaccine is SAFE for pregnant cows and calves nursing pregnant cows.
    23.25 for 10 doses

_Pasteurella (Pneumonia) Vaccine

Mannheimia Haemolytica-Pasteurella Multocida Bacterin
    (Colorado Serum) For vaccination of healthy goats, sheep and cattle as an aid in the prevention of pneumonia caused by Mannheimia haemolytica and Pasteurella multocida. Inject 2 ml SQ and repeat in 2-4 weeks. 21-day slaughter withdrawal.

This one does not say if it is safe for pregnant animals

3.05 for 10 doses

talk about a price difference! I wonder why :scratch:

I know colorado serum has a good name with the CD/T vaccine so I am leaning towards this since it is already labeled for goats. Since the active ingredient seems to be the same in both can I assume it is safe since the other one says it is????? and I would assume they just didn't want to put the effort out to find out if the goat vaccine was safe?

17. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    No I never gave it to a bred doe..I can check on that as well..

It is labeled for cattle @ 2mls, my vet said give 1ml that's what I did..

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Thanks Victoria I appreciate you asking -- I really want to be rid of this once and for all! my friend now has it in her herd because she boarded my doe for breeding to her buck!

Can you give the vaccine when they are still coughing or do they need to be 100% before giving the vaccine? Sorry for all the questions and hijacking the thread I just am tired and frustrated and looking for answers :thumb:

19. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Just make sure she has a normal temp, I will look at the Pulm book when I can...
    I too would trust the Colorado vaccine, but this is what we had at the clinic at the time..

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I really appreciate you looking into this for me. I have been at a loss for how to gather the information :hug: I feel empowered now to help my girls.