The Goat Spot Forum banner

Anyone here from Hawai'i?

4K views 43 replies 8 participants last post by  Little-Bits-N-Pieces 
#1 ·
Hello everybody, I'm a newbie to the world of goat raising, and I was wondering if there was anyone in the forum that lives in (or has lived in) Hawai'i? I'd love to find some fellow goat lovers that live close by.. I'd like some advice, you know.. pick your brain about the geographical and botanical qualities here in the islands.. I've just got some odd questions, typical newbie questions probably..

:laugh:

I live on the Big Island, in Mt. View.
But hey, if there is anyone out there that thinks they can help out a fellow goat lover, than I'm all ears :)

#3 ·
Get back to me in 5-10 years. ;) Went to Oahu for the first time two years ago and instantly fell in love. Headed to Kona & Hilo later this summer. Only place I've ever visited that made me instantly (and seriously!) want to move there! My current plan is to visit each island over the next few years and see which I like best. I'll be an "empty nester" in the next couple years... so ya never know... I might just do it! The idea of being able to garden year round makes it AWFULLY hard to resist!

I know there's at least one person that posts a lot from Hawaii... though I can't remember who. I love seeing posts from those of you in Hawaii though! If/when I move there... I will definitely be having goats.

#7 ·
Party vacation at Bits and Pieces property everyone!!!!!! :D
:ROFL:

That's really funny, you could throw a massive party there and I'd be none the wiser! I'm way to far from Hawaii to even know whats going on over there.

#8 ·
Welcome from Barbados!

There are a few here who live in Hawaii!! Dayna for one, but I can't think of any others.
Thank you for the welcome, nchen7 :) Barbados is a beautiful place! Reminds me of Hawaii, actually with your awesome beaches and relatable weather (tee hee). What type of goats do you raise, if I may ask?

#10 ·
Get back to me in 5-10 years. ;) Went to Oahu for the first time two years ago and instantly fell in love. Headed to Kona & Hilo later this summer. Only place I've ever visited that made me instantly (and seriously!) want to move there! My current plan is to visit each island over the next few years and see which I like best. I'll be an "empty nester" in the next couple years... so ya never know... I might just do it! The idea of being able to garden year round makes it AWFULLY hard to resist!

I know there's at least one person that posts a lot from Hawaii... though I can't remember who. I love seeing posts from those of you in Hawaii though! If/when I move there... I will definitely be having goats.
FarmerJen, I'm so happy to hear that you loved the islands! I live on the Hilo side of the Big Island, up near the volcano, so it's very serene and lush ...and secluded! well, depending on the area, but the people in this area are very down to earth. It's not like oahu at all, where you see tall buildings and highways, we're more... how would you say.. like a little town. I've never been to the other Islands (except oahu) actually, so I don't know what they're like, but I say go for it! ;) especially if you love it and can see yourself doing the things you love ( gardening, and so on).

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, haha :)

I think I've might've seen a couple posts from a user who was from Hawaii, but I can't think of her username.. Keep in touch, FarmerJen, I'd love to help you out in your search; my husband and I are finishing up a rental house, *wink, wink* but we also know a couple of realtors :)

Oops! There I go again.. Sorry :/

#11 ·
We thought about moving there once! :D I think Dayna lives in Hawaii. She has a thread going right now about her goat Cupcake.Welcome!
Hello NDlover :) thank you so much for the welcome :) what changed your mind abouy moving here, if I may ask? I think I might've seen a post about a goat named Cupcake.. I'll go check it out :)

#12 ·
I used to live there. For about 2 months.....
I still have property there, but I couldn't tell you a thing about the plants there. lol
Hello Little-Bits-N-Pieces-ADG :)
That's cool that you used to live here, what part of the area were you at? It's funny, I know the plants here, but my head spins when it comes to figuring out which plant is good for goats. The woman that I adopted my goat from said that he's invincible and will eat anything, but I know that goats don't just eat anything, and so this thread was born.. Haha

#14 ·
:ROFL:

That's really funny, you could throw a massive party there and I'd be none the wiser! I'm way to far from Hawaii to even know whats going on over there.
Haha!! I've had my experience with a lot sitting for too long, people do tend to think that it's just abandoned and will come and go as they please. If you want (and if your property is on the same island as me) my husband and I have a landscaping business and we can just tend your lot for you so that it looks like people live there and you don't get squatters. An experience that sucks, believe me. :(

#15 ·
not from there just wish i was. i've heard it's really boring just another day in paradise!! yeah and it snowed on memorial day here!!
Enchantedgoats, hello :)
It can get pretty mellow and boring, but some people love that. However, there are times when it's bustling with life.. It kinda just depends on what you do. But I won't lie, it is very relaxed if you let it be. My husband and I have a screen printing and landscaping business and we're starting a movie making business, too, and so there are tons of creative projects constantly going.. Haha :)

#16 ·
Hello! I'm Dayna and I live in Keaau, up in OrchidLand!
Hello Dayna!! I have heard about you from the lovely people on this forum! That's so awesome that you live so close by! I'm up in mountain view, down in Hawaiian acres.
How are you? What kind of goats do you raise? Ahh! So many questions...! Haha

#17 ·
Hello Dayna!! I have heard about you from the lovely people on this forum! That's so awesome that you live so close by! I'm up in mountain view, down in Hawaiian acres.
How are you? What kind of goats do you raise? Ahh! So many questions...! Haha
I have an eclectic mix of goaties. :) Also have 4 sheep, about 30 chickens, rabbits for meat.

I moved here a year ago from Alaska, brought my 7 parrots and dog with me. Hubby and I had been planning on moving here in a few years, but his job that he did in Alaska opened up here on the Big Island so we transferred! We have a 16 year old daughter as well.

You?

#18 ·
Haha!! I've had my experience with a lot sitting for too long, people do tend to think that it's just abandoned and will come and go as they please. If you want (and if your property is on the same island as me) my husband and I have a landscaping business and we can just tend your lot for you so that it looks like people live there and you don't get squatters. An experience that sucks, believe me. :(
It's in Oahu, but my brother, and my daughter go there every year, so it's fine, :). I also have property in Elko, Nevada, but I have never even seen it.....

#19 ·
FarmerJen, I'm so happy to hear that you loved the islands! I live on the Hilo side of the Big Island, up near the volcano, so it's very serene and lush ...and secluded! well, depending on the area, but the people in this area are very down to earth. It's not like oahu at all, where you see tall buildings and highways, we're more... how would you say.. like a little town. I've never been to the other Islands (except oahu) actually, so I don't know what they're like, but I say go for it! ;) especially if you love it and can see yourself doing the things you love ( gardening, and so on).

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble, haha :)

I think I've might've seen a couple posts from a user who was from Hawaii, but I can't think of her username.. Keep in touch, FarmerJen, I'd love to help you out in your search; my husband and I are finishing up a rental house, *wink, wink* but we also know a couple of realtors :)

Oops! There I go again.. Sorry :/
Actually... I think I'll just be squatting on Little-Bits-N-Pieces-ADG's place :cool: But yeah... when I get serious... I'll definitely be looking to touch base with you.

#20 ·
Hello NDlover :) thank you so much for the welcome :) what changed your mind abouy moving here, if I may ask? I think I might've seen a post about a goat named Cupcake.. I'll go check it out :)
Wow, this has to be a record number of quotes on this thread! :pUmm, I'm not sure why we didn't move there; it was quite a long time ago, a and I was only nine or ten at the time.
I guess we're just texans at heart, and didn't have the heart to leave. :) my family has all lived in Texas for a couple generations, I guess.:D
But I know it's beautiful there, kinda wish I'd gotten to see it.

#22 ·
I have an eclectic mix of goaties. :) Also have 4 sheep, about 30 chickens, rabbits for meat.

I moved here a year ago from Alaska, brought my 7 parrots and dog with me. Hubby and I had been planning on moving here in a few years, but his job that he did in Alaska opened up here on the Big Island so we transferred! We have a 16 year old daughter as well.

You?
That's awesome! :)
How do you like it here? My husband's sons had moved out to Alaska, Hawaii was a little too slow paced I guess for them.

We're slowly expanding our little family; we have 2 sweet and playful dogs, 1 mellow and kind horse, and 1 loving and shy goat. We're both newbies to the world of goats, but determined to learn. I want to get another goat, but I want to become a little more experienced first.

Do you have any ohia trees in your yard? My little goat, Billie, is OBSESSED with the leaves... I can't seem to find anything out there, that says it's good or bad..

#23 ·
It's in Oahu, but my brother, and my daughter go there every year, so it's fine, :). I also have property in Elko, Nevada, but I have never even seen it.....
Hats great that you have someone checking up on it :)

#24 ·
Wow, this has to be a record number of quotes on this thread! :pUmm, I'm not sure why we didn't move there; it was quite a long time ago, a and I was only nine or ten at the time.
I guess we're just texans at heart, and didn't have the heart to leave. :) my family has all lived in Texas for a couple generations, I guess.:D
But I know it's beautiful there, kinda wish I'd gotten to see it.
I understand, I've visited a couple places on the mainland... Well, just in the California area, haha, and I loved this place called "mill valley" but I guess I'm just an island girl at heart :)
My husband and I were thinking of visiting Texas, actually.

#25 ·
Oh, I forgot I inheritied my grandmothers property on the Big Island, Hawaii too....however, nobody visits that one..... I should probably go check it out sometime soon....
That's true. We had a little trouble with squatters on our lot once, it was a very lame experience and I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

#26 ·
That's awesome! :)
How do you like it here? My husband's sons had moved out to Alaska, Hawaii was a little too slow paced I guess for them.

We're slowly expanding our little family; we have 2 sweet and playful dogs, 1 mellow and kind horse, and 1 loving and shy goat. We're both newbies to the world of goats, but determined to learn. I want to get another goat, but I want to become a little more experienced first.

Do you have any ohia trees in your yard? My little goat, Billie, is OBSESSED with the leaves... I can't seem to find anything out there, that says it's good or bad..
Yeah Ohias are a favorite here. I believe they are a safe tree for the goats to eat. My goats also love the pigeon pea plant. It looks like that yucky sleeping grass, but with no thorns and yellow flowers.

My daughter has wanted a horse for soooooo long. I just dont' know enough about them to give them a good life so I tell her no. lol We have a guy on our street that has two "free ranging" horses that she pets and brushes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.