The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about adding some alfalfa and grain to my bucks' diet instead of just feeding grass hay. I know most people say to balance th calcium and phosphorus levels, but we buy our hay from real old timers, and they don't test their hay so we would have no idea what the levels are in the hay!
So, where do you get AC and how do you feed it? Is it safe for does and kids?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I buy a grain that already has AC in it.. But I know you can order it from Hoggers I think... Or Jeffers? One of those I think lol!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I have a tub in case of emergency. Just because I'm paranoid, I add a little extra to their minerals now and then.

·
1,524 Posts
I buy it already mixed in the feed if I feel the need to feed it. You can buy loose minerals that contain it also. My bucks get alfalfa pellets and soaked beet pulp to add the calcium. The only time I use the AC grain is for freezer camp wethers.

Grass hay is very low in calcium, high in phosphorus. Grains are the same way for the most part. Commercial grain products are usually partially balanced, but the diet should be 2.5 to 1, though to keep UC at bay 3:1 is best.

AC will not harm does. The Purina Noble goat contains it, as do several other commercial goat feeds.,

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
I do give my boys some alfalfa pellets if they are on straight grass hay, for the reason stated above. :) Right now they are on alfalfa/grass mix. Straight alfalfa is 5.1 I believe, so a mix is just about perfect. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a jar of it on Jeffers! How often do you add it to their grain mix? And how much? Teaspoon, tablespoon??

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For my milking does, I will start feeding Purina Noble Dairy Goat, and the feed store is ordering Purina Goat Minerals for us.
Then for the bucks I was thinking of adding beet pulp in the winter, and some sort of grain ration year round. Then I am thinking of planting BrowseMaster in their pen to graze on, instead of just having a dry lot..

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much AC with how much Minerals?

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh okay. Sounds great. So with adding AC, I could feed grain, alfalfa, etc, etc, etc to the bucks and wethers? They'll be happy!! :D

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
...and the feed store is ordering Purina Goat Minerals for us.
If these were my goats, I would cancel that order right quick and go with Sweetlix, Cargill, or another reputable brand that did not contain almost 50% salt. If you check the label for Purina Goat Mineral, I believe you will find that it contains 45% salt. That is way too high. Salt is a limiter and will prevent the goats from eating the amount of mineral they need.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If these were my goats, I would cancel that order right quick and go with Sweetlix, Cargill, or another reputable brand that did not contain almost 50% salt. If you check the label for Purina Goat Mineral, I believe you will find that it contains 45% salt. That is way too high. Salt is a limiter and will prevent the goats from eating the amount of mineral they need.
:/ It's the only one they can order in that's for goats... The other mineral they carry in the store are either all stock blocks, or an all stock loose mineral. Currently they are on the all stock loose mineral. Some of the does are starting to fish tail and one has a couple have rough coats. Obviously it's not enough. We live in a really small town and I just have to get what I can get.

Also the feed is coming in Friday, so, probably too late.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Ah, I see. I know how that goes. It's very difficult to find goat mineral here, too. Fortunately, a teacher at Southwest High School is a distributor for Essential Show feeds and they have a good goat mineral. Otherwise I would be stuck with Purina as well.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there anything else I can offer free choice to help offset the salt in the purina minerals?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Feed AC at 1/4 tsp/50lbs body weight per day. The amount that is present in some feeds and mineral mixes is not enough. I mix it into their tiny daily grain ration with a small amount of something sticky, like honey, corn syrup, agave nectar, so they eat it right up.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay so how does this sound for the bucks/wethers?
Free choice alfalfa hay and browse, 1/2 cup 16% dairy goat feed once a day, top dress with AC everyday. Missy, you say 1/4 tps per 50 lbs, but what about when I have a 15 lb ND wether? They don't grow super fast. Would it work to add up all their weights, add the AC and then give each buck/wether their half cup?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure about the little guy, but if it were me I'd give him a scant 1/8 tsp per day or a tiny bit less. For now giving him the same ration as the others might be too much, but you could increase what he gets as he grows...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts