Anyone milked 3 times to up production?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Cinder, May 25, 2009.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    My Nubian was giving me a gallon a day until we had a big snow storm about a three weeks ago. Her production went down drastically over a 24 hour period. I know that that can be normal for the weather to affect production but it usually goes back up to where it was after a few days. Her's hasn't - I'm now getting about 6 to 7 cups a.m. and p.m. from her. I really want her back up to that gallon a day (or over).

I've started milking her in the middle of the day to see if I can get her to up her production. Does anyone have personal experience trying to up production by milking an extra time? Did it work or is this just a waste of my time.

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, milking three times a day will up production. :)

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've only ever done the 3x a day to even a lopsided udder...it did help but going to 3x a day to up production on my 15 month fresh doe has not upped production. It just caused her to split the amount she normally gives 3x....1/3 1/3 1/3....she gives 1 3/4 cups daily with 1x a day milking... I tried going 2 x a day but then she just gave 3/4 and 3/4.....try the 3x a day with your doe and see how she does...being newly fresh may be the key.

4. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

It can help to up their production. the only time i milk three times a day is at shows, when the stress levels are up and they arnt producing as much.
    When did she freshen?
    have you recently switched hays? grains?
    beth

5. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I tried it ... didnt work for me :shrug:

6. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Beth asked:
    I believe she freshened in March, could have been February. I feed alfalfa hay but have gotten it from two different feed stores as it's been hard to find here. We just got in the first cutting for this year... it's much better than what they were getting the last couple of months.

I guess I'll keep milking her three times a day for a few more days and see if I get more from her. If not, I'll go back to twice a day and be happy with what I'm getting. :)

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

is she getting any grain at all?
    beth

8. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    She is getting Klassy goat feed mixed with BOSS each time on the milk stand. I've milked her three times a day now for four days and I'm actually getting less milk by two cups each day! Argh!! Should I continue trying or just go back to two times a day and hope she goes back up to where she was?

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like she's wanting to keep that extra grain for herself!

Go another 2-3 days and see, but your likely going to go back to 2x a day. :hug: