The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are trying to start a small backyard farm near Tuscaloosa. We're considering adding dairy goats to our plans, but neither of us have ever been around goats to know their personality (beyond petting zoos anyway), or tasted their milk to know if we would even like it. We'd love to visit someone who raises dairy goats so we could learn more about them, see your setup, and generally figure out if it's for us.

So anyone around the Tuscaloosa area who wouldn't mind a visitor one weekend?

·
4,499 Posts
Hey! Good for you! That's how I started out here in Washington state... Now I have 13 acres, so be careful what you wish for! Ha ha !
My family loves the goat milk! Welcome and good luck!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sorry out in CA over here but hi and welcome-- and Hubby just tried the milk for the first time a few weeks ago (he was very resistant)- and LOVED it. The trick is to have very clean, fresh milk and certain goats have sweeter milk....(ex I hear that some breeds that were bred to make cheese ex Toggs have a stronger flavored milk, and others like Nubians and the minis have a very sweet rich milk)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The missus and I have only drunk skim milk for so long that whole milk tastes "cheesy" to us now, so I'm not sure how we'll fair with Goat's milk (I'm guessing you can skim it too, just leave it in the fridge and skim off the cream that rises to the surface right?). Or maybe we could just adjust to it over time if it was too strong at first.

With some googling though, I was able to find a Nubian dairy farm an hour from us and they've invited us over for a visit next week, so maybe we'll get the chance to try some.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The missus and I have only drunk skim milk for so long that whole milk tastes "cheesy" to us now, so I'm not sure how we'll fair with Goat's milk (I'm guessing you can skim it too, just leave it in the fridge and skim off the cream that rises to the surface right?). Or maybe we could just adjust to it over time if it was too strong at first.

With some googling though, I was able to find a Nubian dairy farm an hour from us and they've invited us over for a visit next week, so maybe we'll get the chance to try some.
Hmmm I think that the issue with goats milk and espec some breeds like the Nigies or Nubians, with very high butterfat content, it may taste rich and cheesy to you, some breeds (Saanan's?) have a lower fat content with higher volume.... so you may want to look into that....

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i'm nowhere near you guys, but welcome to TGS!

just know that fresh milk straight from an animal that you raised and care for yourself will certainly taste different to purchased milk. I don't like to drink milk, but I can say that I love my goat's milk, and even only having her for 5 months, store bought cows milk taste funny to me now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts