The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If so, I'm just wondering what your experiences are, how much you pack and how they do, etc. I love the big goats and after having to re-home my biggest one who couldn't pack anymore (37 inches high and about 220), I can't seem to find another adult packer his size to replace him. I've got my eyes on a couple of smaller ones (32-34 inches high and around 170-185 pounds). I'm not hunting or doing anything too hardcore, so do you think putting 35 pounds on a smaller goat is too much? 30 pounds? I know the 20-25 percent body weight ratio, but would still like to hear people's personal experiences, and I'm not sure I believe in maxing a goat out to this ratio anyhow.

I'm just curious if anyone's using smaller goats and how that's going for them.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Saltlick--
We have a 130lb Oberhasli. We got him from Edelweiss Acres, outside of Olympia, WA.
http://home.comcast.net/~edelweissacres/
Although many would claim that is too small a size to use for a packer, I can't say enough great things about him, or about Edelweiss. We have two larger goats (a 240lb Alpine and a 205lb Kiko/Nubian/Oberhasli mix). While the other two are great goats--for his size--the 130lb Oberhasli is the strongest & by far the most willing. From the moment we brought him home, at 3 months, he was in the packing "zone." Completely focused. He hardly ever gets too hot on the trail--the other two will be panting, and he just acts like the heat is no big deal. He is sure-footed. He is great at water crossings:
We usually don't put more 20-25 lbs on him, and he just goes and goes. But then again, we have 2 other larger goats, so he rounds out our little "herd" quite nicely.
I see from your other posts that you are interested in the Oberhasli breed. When the time comes for us to get a new goat or two, I wouldn't hesitate to get another Oberhasli, even if they are slightly smaller than the "acceptable" range for pack goats. To use the old cliche, "size doesn't always matter!" :) Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awe, what good goats! He's a trooper, that little guy! I myself don't like crossing fast moving water, and they just plow right through! I'm open to trying a smaller goat, maybe not quite that small, but smaller. Maybe even a doe for that matter. I guess whatever I happen upon first, an Oberhasli or an Alpine, or some kind of mix of whatever.
Thanks! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts