Anyone participate in LA through ADGA before?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by pennylullabelle, Jun 8, 2010.

1. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

I have these BIG questions and I cannot seem to get any help from the source! I email and call but they just email back with broad answers that don't help me :( Guess I have come to expect it since i have resubmitted re-registration paper work 4 times on the same 5 goats since Feb. Finally got 2 of them registered but wont be able to get the other 3 in time for my LA session next Monday!!

So, for you seasoned Linear Appraisal participants - can you help me? Have TWO big big questions before next Monday!

1. Is it true that if you don't have ADGA registration but have a Bday and correct tattoo info on a goat it can still be assessed? It is my understanding the judge will still score, but it will be unofficial. I can live with this for this year.

2. I have 3 girls due to kid within 2 weeks of my session date. I bred the does before I had even a hint of what month my LA session would be. Should I take them this far along? Will they just be dismissed and if so why subject them to a long trailer ride and a day in the sun waiting around?

Thanks so much everyone, truly. Getting close and it's my first time! Woo! AND AND AND I get to Sarah Hawkin's herd appraised (Castle Rock) as that is the session I am transporting too. Sooo aweeesssoommme. hehehehe

2. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    I went and watched and had my buckling appraised... Every animal there was registered ADGA. I don't see a real point in having the appraisal done when it's not "official" even if they did do it- because you wouldn't be able to advertise it as an official score... Youngstock is different- they do not get a number score, just a letter/symbol. Looks like Youngstock are the ones that need tattoos but not ADGA reg. For more info - http://www.adga.org/faq-linear.html

Every non-yearling doe who was appraised had freshened already. This is IMPORTANT in the dairy breeds because the udder is a HUGE part of a doe's score and if they have not freshened, the appraiser can't test texture or evaluate attachments or medial strength... that would knock you out of 2 whole categories. You must bring ALL your does and if even one is not in milk, you're spending money on something that will need to be redone =/

If I were you, I would go observe. I learned more in an hour watching that appraiser than weeks reading up on conformation. I wouldn't bring your herd this short notice (late fees, non-freshened, etc) but you could really learn a lot...

Just my 2 cents.

3. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Even if I couldn't get an official score out of a doe I would still have her appraised because I want the appraisers opinion of the doe. For me appraisal is not about the scores, for me its about learning what I am doing right in my herd and what needs to be improved. If I get good scores, hey its a plus for me an I know I'm doing the right thing :thumb:

I participated in appraisal in 2008 and 2009, I'm not participating this year due to too many projects going on here at the farm, but I still wish I could have :(

So anyway......

Question #1: This is true for kids and yearlings. All kids need is a bday and a correct tattoo to be appraised. For adults, I have no idea. You could take your adults anyway and get them scored, but yes it probably would be unofficial.

#2: You need to ask the ADGA specifically if you can appraise pregnant does(or does extremely close to being due) That I am not sure of, but you need to bring any doe over 2 years of age, regardless of if she has freshened or not(if she hasn't freshened at all the appraiser needs to officially excuse her) They can appraise does who have freshened before who are dry. My permanent CH Obe was dry on her appraisal day because she was dry when I bought her, she still scored 90 and the appraiser gave her a V on her udder because you can't give a E to a dry udder. She still judged her as if she had milk even though she didn't.

How old are the does that are due and what freshening will this be for them?

4. pennylullabelle

I agree about unofficial scores. This being my first year in Nigi's if I can get unofficial ratings it would be very valuable. Sure I don't get to say my goats have these scores___ but I will learn about how to assess them further and how to make selective choices to work towards a dairy herd. For me the appraisal is also not about the scores or the stature but a honest opinion of my goats.

Now, what I am thinking is I will take all 14 of my mature does with me. If he doesn't appraise them then they made the trip for nothing. But if he does, excellent. I don't care that the scores will be unofficial this year. By next year (well, this is hard to say it is ADGA) I SHOULD have everyone registered who is only registered with AGS.

I have been trying to ask specifically about bringing pregnant does. I got back an email this morning that said goats must be 2 months or older to be appraised. I thought....what in the world does that have to do with what I asked. I wasn't asking if I bring the kids if they kid! I was asking if I bring them - big as beach balls!

The does not yet registered with ADGA who are under 2 years but haven't freshened includes just 1. The rest are either older then 2 years or under 2 years but have freshened. Here's how it breaks down (these are just the unregistered ones - names are irrelevant and just to help me keep track!):

As many as 3 (I don't have the tattoo sequence on one to get her tattooed as she wasn't registered when I bought her but Sarah H at Castle Rock bred her so we are working on it) so - 3 does who are less then 2 years but have freshened. (Ruby, Melena, Sandy)

1 doe who is pregnant, never freshened, and less the 2 years old. (Athena)

1 doe that is pregnant, has never freshened, but is more then 2 years old. (Thumper)

4 does who are older then 2 years old, have freshened at least once, and are neither pregnant nor in milk. (Penny, Opal, Tumble, Diamond)

A total of 10 unregistered does I'd like to have an assessment on. The tenth is Oreo, she is the one who hasn't freshened and is less then 2 years so actually qualifies to come! I have Shiloh, Sophie, Lulla, and Porsche who are registered. 14 total.

Whew....my brain hurts...I need caffeine.... :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Thanks for all the help ladies :) I know my herd is not in an ideal position as no one is in milk, 3 are about to pop, 6 or so are bred, and most aren't registered with ADGA! But it's also a learning experience to help me figure out where I want to go from here with each doe - who to breed them too, what to improve, if they should be sold, etc. So, I will do whatever it takes to make it up there, trailer-o-goats in tow! I am already on the schedule, fees are paid, etc. So no late items or what have you.

5. pennylullabelle

Oh, Athena (1 yr) and Shiloh and Thumper (2 yr) are the does due. This will be the first for all 3.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Hmm.....even if they were registered the only ones I would question about being able to appraise them would be the two pregnant ones who have not freshened before. I only say that because I don't think you could count them as 'freshened' even if they have udders.

Have you asked the owner of your host herd about these things? She might be able to help. Also, just out of curiosity, who is your appraiser?

7. pennylullabelle

I mentioned it to the owner but she is swamped right now. She's a dear friend and her life is hectic! However, she thinks the unregistered does should at least be assessed even w/o registration. She hasn't gotten back to me on if she thinks I should bring the PG girls along.

My appraiser is Eric Jermain.

8. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Eric was my appraiser... He's very tough, but fair. Just be prepared...

9. pennylullabelle

That's perfect :hi5: I want a tough judge because I want an honest scoring. I want to use the information as a tool to help me breed better goats! Can't wait :) Thanks for the tip!

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Oooh!!!!!! I love Eric :D He was my appraiser last year, he is EXTREMELY tough, he doesn't sugar coat anything at all(which is great, my first appraiser did and it really pissed me off because she gave me good scores I didn't deserve) but his evaluation are fair and very very honest.

11. pennylullabelle

I hope he is brutal, but not malicious. I have a friend who felt like her appraiser one year just didn't like Nigis. The appraiser had their nose up the whole session and gave scores 4-5 points lower then the previous year. And the previous year was a TOUGH judge (older gentlemen, I forget his name).

But I do want the hard truth. I want to decide where to go from here with my herd! Make the tough cuts. I think I *know* which ones I should send to pet/milk homes and which ones I should be keeping as many does from as possible. But having someone else confirm these suspicions helps a great deal in the decision process.

The stop host said just bring everyone - unless ligs are gone and contractions are happening, of course! So I will do just that. He should at least give me an assessment of each doe, which is what I want ;)