The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that a lot of you guys ride western ( which is great too) but does anyone ride English? I do! Below is a picture of me and my horse, Ruby, jumping 2'6 at a show. I'll post some pictures on the flat later ( not on my computer).

·
Registered
10,787 Posts
I took English lessons at a jumping/eventing barn when I still had my quarter horse Fire. I have gaited riding horses now, which aren't really suitable for English riding. I am much more comfortable riding western as it is how I grew up riding, but I can ride English and I enjoy it too. I never jumped though, we focused on basic dressage.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I do! Here's a picture of my 16 year old 17 hand Holstein mare, CeraLynn! She's been my buddy since I was about 12. We do hunter/jumpers, but Cera is getting a little stiff in the joints and she can't jump as high as I want to anymore. We're currently looking for a younger, bigger, higher jumper right now as I would like to go Grand Prix someday, can't wait til we find something!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I ride English, well basically, my English saddle doesn't fit my horse so for now I'm riding her English style in an endurance saddle, and I'll ride like a English rider just bareback. I do jump Lucy from time to time haven't in a little while though :'( but a couple days ago I was lounging her over poles and a small jump. Hopefully I'll get to jump this weekend got my fingers crossed.

image-1530367909.jpg

A picture of me riding on a windy day along with a Lucy bad hair day lol!

image-2409342193.jpg

And this is her all tacked up...looking like a western horse.
By the way if any one notices her bridle, it's a side pull seems how she doesn't like the bit that's on her English bridle. I'm thinking of trying a happy mouth but idk.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@ Alyssa: Vey jealous of you right now! I've always wanted a big WB but I'll take my QH for now:) Good luck in your search for a Grand Prix horse, it can be a long one for something right. Oh, and I just realized that my heels were awful in the picture. Ruby did jump huge over it though.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I haven't ridden in two years or so.. I miss it SO much! :( gonna get back into it soon enough though... Just have to find the time.. :sigh:

But, when I did ride I rode English :) equitation and pleasure on Morgans :) LOVE those horses! So amazing! And the horse I 'leased' was a world Champion :D she was awesome! I miss her so much! :(
I also for fun, would do some gymkhana stuff at our barn shows :)

I will have to post some pictures of the horses I used to ride once I upload them to my iPod :)

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
Ok here are some :)

These are some of the lesson horses out in the field, I have ridden all of them at some point or another..

image-1958170576.jpg

This is Satin's Jenny B (AKA Jenny)

image-300692245.jpg

image-2455995375.jpg

image-4177667076.jpg

This is her at the Grand National and World Champion Morgan Horse show in OK :) (no, that is not me on her ;) )

image-272163372.jpg

And all the stuff she won there :) (she had a halter in there too.. But they buried her in it :) aww man I miss that girl so much! RIP Jenny girl :( we love you)

image-1981968905.jpg

This is ???(some letters I forget lol) Dark Of Night (AKA Ryan) I never road him as he was in training (was out to pasture for about a year after these pics and so the trainer was the only one who rode him... And I left before I got to ride him :( )

image-1647458387.jpg

image-1669398926.jpg

This is Archie :) (I forget his reg name.. But it was stupid lol) they were going to give him to me, but my parents couldn't afford it at the time and he went and made a little girl happy, but I miss him a lot and he loved me too.. :(

image-2040937866.jpg

image-4193147467.jpg

And this is Dameion(sp?) at a show we were at :) this was right after our equitation or pleasure class.. I don't remember.. I know we got first in both classes...

image-3604966062.jpg

Ok, I'll stop boring you all now lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
@ Alyssa: Vey jealous of you right now! I've always wanted a big WB but I'll take my QH for now:) Good luck in your search for a Grand Prix horse, it can be a long one for something right. Oh, and I just realized that my heels were awful in the picture. Ruby did jump huge over it though.
Haha yeah I'm 5' 11'' with suuuper long legs so I need big horses or I just look funny. We've been looking for a few months now, my trainer also runs a sale barn with 600+ horses at the stables but most of them are in the $100,000 and up range. Just a *bit* out of my budget but hopefully something will turn up soon for just the right price. I saw a horse a few days ago, 8 year old thoroughbred, $80,000, WITH A HEART CONDITION. Are you kidding me? I don't care how well it's trained, I'm not going to spend that kind of money on a horse that's just going to have a heart attack on me when we try to do a big course! I'm sure once we find a horse I'll be posting all about it here :)

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
That's an awesome pic!! I ride English too, but now I do a lot of English with gaited horses than I do with my TB.

image-995653631.jpg

That's a picture of me and my TB doing the 3ft amateur owner at the Washington International local day. I love hunters, but I think I'm about to make the move to eventing or jumpers with him.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
That's an awesome pic!! I ride English too, but now I do a lot of English with gaited horses than I do with my TB.

That's a picture of me and my TB doing the 3ft amateur owner at the Washington International local day. I love hunters, but I think I'm about to make the move to eventing or jumpers with him.
Ugh I'm jealous! (; I love that horse! Someday when Lucy looses about a hundred pounds she might look similar to that lol!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OMIGOD! 80,000 with a heart condition? People are out of their minds. Also, I guess 100,000 is just a bit out of your price range. Another reason I should just stick to the little local/4-h shows...... Rube wouldn't stand a chance up against all of the fancy horses! ciwheeles: Aww man he is a nice hunter though! Jumpers and eventing sound like tons of fun though and they seem tad bit more relaxed . I've heard that one of the perks of eventing is you don't have to sit around all day for one class that you don't know what time it will run....you have ride times!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Thanks! Yea anything over 50 grand I think is outrageous. When they day comes I need to start thinking of retiring my guy I think I'd like to just get a youngster with they talent and the breeding and then get someone to put some miles on it for me. I'm very persnickety about my horses so would rather create what I want than search for it. :p

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I do
I don't have my own riding horse but I have started riding when I was 6.
Now I ride at barn down the street.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I love seeing all of these pictures! I ride english but mainly saddleseat. When I was younger I did some jumping on a horse I took in as a lesson horse because the owner had some financial issues and left the state without providing care for her horse. He was a huge running QH. I can't seem to find any of my pictures of my jumping the QH on this computer but I did find a pasture picture of us. Warning photo heavy below.

I will put some of a friends horse I showed for her to help show he was beginner jumper safe (because I really am not a jumper). I did also school him in dressage as a beginner (mind you I was raised 5 gaited and showed/trained racking horses growing up). Here is a video we took the very first time I schooled him in a dressage test (mind you it wasn't the best but he sold before I took him to the first dressage show we had scheduled).
He had a very soft mouth so the first few minutes of warm up you had to leave a lot of room in the reins and every time you started him over fences he got so excited he would buck for the first few times over them. He was a great horse and if I hadn't already had 4 at that time I would have brought him home too!

I also will include some pics of a saddlebred my friend owned that she showed jumping. I would show him in hunter/jumper when I hauled her to horse shows so I didn't get bored until she got her own trailer.

My old TWH blind rescue horse (black horse) I showed at local shows, State level and did demos promoting horse rescue and care for visually impaired horses. I could talk about horses all day long! I love my goats with all my heart but my horses were truly my first love in my life. Unfortunately my husband does not really ride. I have had him on some before but when my mare passed away it left me hubby safe horseless. Maybe one day later on I will get him a safe horse and we can start riding together again. Oh and of course I had to include a pic of my mare (the paint) in a local pleasure show from many years ago. I think she was 5 years old then so it was a long time ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
yes I ride western cuz I barrel race pole bend and do cowgirls rodeo events some but I have ridden english also

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I ride english too :) I have 14.2 HH polish (I think) arabian named Scotty :) Hence my username ;) He has training in show jumping, and some in dressage. Right now I just take him over some smaller jumps that I make in the paddock till I get to go to the stables and start training in cross country!! I am so excited!! :D

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I ride english too :) I have 14.2 HH polish (I think) arabian named Scotty :) Hence my username ;) He has training in show jumping, and some in dressage. Right now I just take him over some smaller jumps that I make in the paddock till I get to go to the stables and start training in cross country!! I am so excited!! :D
That's awesome! You should show us some pictures (; I love Arabians in general so I would love to see some pics!! :) If you have any!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
That's awesome! You should show us some pictures (; I love Arabians in general so I would love to see some pics!! :) If you have any!
I'll get some today :) He is a real chubster right now though with the pasture like it is :p

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I'll get some today :) He is a real chubster right now though with the pasture like it is :p
Okay!! :) Lucy is a real chubster right now too...lol I'm trying to get her to loose weight, I got her to loose 34 pounds but I don't think I'm ever gonna be able to get her down to a decent weight lol!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts