The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious question? I’m getting 3 kinder does soon… I used to own goats up until August this year… I’ve decided I can’t live without some, so going for a smaller size.. Question in regards to feed… Anyone use Chaffhaye and Orchard grass for the main feed? Is Chaffhaye still a good product? I usually feed straight alfalfa, but wanted to switch it up a bit… Kind if wanted to stay away from alfalfa pellets because of the dust, and kinders are smaller goats, and I’ve had choking issues with them.. So it’s either straight alfalfa, or orchard hay and Chaffhaye… They have browse and graze, but this time of year I’m pretty sure these will take to the rain like my other goats and remain inside most of the timeThanks in advance…

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
We still feed chaffhaye here. Still a great product.. They do get oats and BOSS and coastal as well..

Reactions: janeen128

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
We haven't in a while since we were getting alfalfa hay, but I would still use it. Actually, I had considered that again for my milkers coming up soon as we have to rent a trailer and go about a half-hour away to pick up alfalfa bales every month. I can get Chaffhaye up the road.

For those that feed it, how much (ballpark range) are you giving per goat? IDK how to ration it compared to alfalfa hay, as in equivalent amounts.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I fed it to my standards, all 8 of them got a 5 gallon bucket fluffed out, twice a day… I’ll probably go with a 3 gallon bucket full once a day for the kinders…

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
We also use 5 gallon bucket 2x a day for 13 goats of different sizes and ages. Boys get about a 1/2 pound each 2 x a day.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
About how long does the bag last giving it like that would you say?

It's been a good year or more I think since I've used it. I was just supplementing it at the time and if I remember correctly I gave a bit less than that, but also fed alfalfa pellets with that.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
About 2 days. Ish

Reactions: janeen128

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
About 2 days. Ish
Thanks, that helps. I was trying to compare to our alfalfa bales which are bigger but it gives me an idea. I'd sure love to not drive so far and go through the hassle of a trailer again. I loved feeding it. After Nov we will have 12 total so that gives me an idea.

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
That's about what we pay. And they eat every scrap..so win win

·
Premium Member
4,382 Posts
I wish, way too expensive up here in Maine. I had fed it a few years ago and they LOVED it, but the price was just way to much. If I only had a couple of goats I might be able to do it, but with the amount I now have- no way. Alfalfa pellets are way cheaper.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts