Anyone Try or Use ChaffHaye for Goats?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by capriola-nd, Nov 2, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Just curious if anyone here has tried or used ChaffHaye for their goats? Thoughts?

Here at home we do not have as much space to store hay and I hate all the waste. Even when our goats get the highest quality, Eastern hay that is beautifully green and gorgeous (they get nice hay all the time anyways) but they still pull out some! :hair: They say that there is no waste at all with the ChaffHaye and it is highly digestible. Sounds great but would love to hear your thoughts.

Here's the website: http://www.chaffhaye.com/index.php?page_name=splash

2. Shelly

Shelly New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    California
    I haven't used it, But I know two breeder who swear by it. They love the stuff say there is no waste and the goats grow great on it. Shelly

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I use dengi.. i think it's the same as that. I use the alfalfa because they would always waste the alfalfa hay. I give mostly regular hay with some of the dengi.

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have never heard of it. I use an orchard, timothy, brome cross for mine.

5. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    I love the idea of the ChaffHaye, but I'm on the east coast and didn't find many dealers. I don't have the storage room, period, and the cost is UP THERE, too! I emailed about becoming a dealer in NC, but i can't afford it.

6. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR
    We use Chaffhaye.
    We use the Alfalfa and there is no waste. But we don't use it as our hay source. We mix our grain with it and they eat it as there grain ration. I also feed hay. We are going to have to stop useing it though because there are no dealers that are closer than 5 hrs. We could become a dealer but we would have to order $2,000 worth of Chaffhaye and we can't afford to spend that much at one time. Plus it would take us forever to use that amount up.

One of our Fainter friends uses it as there sole food with a little grain. They don't use much hay if any. They have great results.

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm mainly interested in using it over the winter, MUCH easier to store than bales of hay, less space. We have the space to store a ton of hay (I think, it's about 11x6, 8 ft. high) but I just like the idea of ChaffHaye better. Plus, we'll have to take a portion of the hay storage area and make two kidding stalls for the spring.

So, I think we'll get some of this for the winter. Probably 10 or so of the grass and 3 alfalfa. We'll still get some bales of hay and straw. Leave some hay out free-choice. Only thing that I wonder about is how much to feed mini-goats? You don't leave it our free-choice, right? That doesn't sound right. I think it said something about 1-2 lbs. per 100 lbs. body weight. But, do they eat it all at once and that's it, or pick at it throughout the day??

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    A friend of ours is a dealer in VA. He just started using it and loves it, there if no waste to speak of. I think he said they just eat it all at once, but I could be wrong..

9. nigerianmeadows

nigerianmeadows New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    North Carolina
    We use 1 bag every 2-3 days (3 in summer, 2 in colder weather) for 7 nigerian dwarfs. Once we added an alpine, we go through 1 bag every day. We love it, but it does get pricey. I think I'm going to become a dealer due to the cost factor. :lovey:
    Jordana
    nigerianmeadows.com

10. I too have seen this. And have seen people with it at shows(portability?). But here is my question? If goats are supposed to "browse" all day, how does that work with feeding in winter when there is no browse. I mean if they eat it all at once what do they munch on the rest of the day? I thought as ruminants they were supposed to have feed available at all times? I dunno?

11. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I LOVE it!
    except it's $18 a bag...yikes!

no waste and the goats look great!

12. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I'm going to google this to find out what all of you are talking about... I use alfalfa for their browse, and they do waste alot.. I use it for their bedding mostly..
    Capriola, will you let me know how this works for you when you switch?? since your climate will be really similar to mine here just north of Seattle.
    Thanks
    Heidi

13. newtopygmies

newtopygmies New Member

May 26, 2010
    ashville alabama
    I can get bermuda grass in this "neck of the woods" pretty cheap. So I think I will pass on the Chaffhaye. My goats seem to like the cheapest "mulch hay" the best and that is fine with me. I'll just give them a a little sweet feed now and then...they never waste that. Right now any hay that is not eaten serves well as bedding so I don't think any is being wasted right now.

P.S. I mix some sunflower seeds with the sweet feed to up the protien and also to make the coats shiny. Am begining to switch to some goat feed (16%) cause its about as cheap as sweet feed. I think I'll mix the two...plus the sunflower seed.

I give mine feed about every two days...hay all the time = chubby goats.

14. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL
    Triple Crown makes that stuff too. I used to feed it to my thoroughbred that was a hard keeper..trying to get some weight on her. It is definitely easier to transport (ie: I could carry it in the backseat of my car, can't do that with a bale of hay without a mess) and store. It's more expensive though. I would love to feed it to my goats but can only imagine how much it would cost to feed it to 10 goats! There are no dealers for this brand near me, but I think I remember the Triple Crown being about the same amount ($18 for 50lbs of Alfalfa). Hmm..if I do the math I would be feeding about 15lbs a day which would be just over 2 bags a week..I guess that wouldn't be too bad especially if I could cut back on grain. May have to see if the feed store will order it for me.

15. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    The Triple Crown product is not the same as Chaffhaye. The Chaffhaye is fermented and therefore is a "moist" product. The Triple Crown is a dried chopped product that has been misted with molasses to reduce dust, but is a dry product.

Karla

16. dixiegirl3179

dixiegirl3179 Done lost her mind...

Jan 20, 2010
    Middleburg, FL

I didn't know that. After reading the descriptions on both sites they sound like the same thing. Learn something new every day. I can't get the Chaffhaye where I live :(. I don't know if the Triple Crown Alfalfa Forage would be just as good.

17. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I tried to check out the chaffhaye locally but they stopped carrying it due to lack of interest ...with only 2 nigies, I didn't know if I could finish a bag before it spoiled...it sure sounded like a good idea though,and compact!

18. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    We really like the product and the goats love it too. We recently started trying the Grass Chaffhaye and we like it just as well. We feed it to our horses and the bucks who don't really need the alfalfa.

If the Triple Crown stuff is like the TNT Chopped alfalfa from Tractor Supply Co. then no it is not as good. We bought a bag of that once and our girls wouldnt even touch it.

Karla

19. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I have heard good and bad things about it. The shop I work at deals Chaffhaye. Some people have had problems with storing it, they said it got moldy. But, really, once you open it, it needs to be consumed or it does go moldy. I pretty much just buy Farmer's Best pelleted food. It is dry, and easy for me too keep. And, I am weird about how much molasses my goats get. I don't want to rot their teeth! LOL

20. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    It actually takes quite a while for it to mold, even in TX. And it almost never molds in the sack, unless the bag has a hole in it. Most people mistake the white stuff as mold and it is really yeast. The goats love it, and the horses dig around to find that first.

Karla