Anyone used 'Magic'?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by GotmygoatMTJ, Jan 7, 2011.

1. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

We used to use this little concoction a while ago and I believe we had good results with it.

The recipe comes from Clear Creek Farms and it is supposed to boost energy and be a good source of Iron.

The ingredients are

1 part Corn Oil (Do not substitue with Vegatable or Conala Oil)
    1 part Corn Syrup
    1 part Mollases

Has anyone tried this?
    :stars:

2. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I have used this successfully to help heavy bred does get through slight cases of toxemia. Some of my girls love the concoction and will drink it right out of the jar, no drenching required. :leap:

Although now I have considered trying something besides the corn oil, or at least for part of it as it can really cause scours. And the point of the oil is for long term energy and also to help it go through the drench gun easier.

I also add 5cc of B complex and 2cc Thiamine to the mix to help get the appetite stimulated.

Karla

3. kannm

kannm New Member

Mar 18, 2009
    We have given molasses water to our girl after she kidded. I have not heard of using oil. I know they love warm water and molasses.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I skip the oil and just mi the other two together. :)

5. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

@Runaround- Really? Does it work just as well?

6. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I would think that skipping the oil would work just as well, with the exception it may be hard to get through a drench gun. Although if I were going to skip the oil I would want to find something to replace it that would provide the long term energy release. The Corn syrup is like eating a candy bar, it gives you a quick sugar boost, while the corn oil is like eating a high carb meal, it is going to give you a slower energy release over a longer period of time. The molasses is mostly for the iron and other nutrients to help boost the system.

Karla

7. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

So it would probably be beneficial to keep the oil in for the long term energy. Since the syrup is to get them going quickly, and the oil is to keep them going. lol
    Thanks for the input everyone. :)

8. icboers

icboers New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    Blue Ridge,TX
    I don't have to use it very often so I just use the recipe posted here, I do know that it can cause scours so I always give probios when I use this.

Karla