Anyone wanna guess how old this guy is?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by gardenbhean, Apr 27, 2013.

1. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    I've heard this breed (Saanen) tend to live 13 to 15 years, but I don't know if there are any clues I can look for. (In the teeth? Horns?)

I don't think he was very well taken care of before; someone just tied him up in our yard and left him. So that might make him look older than he is.

His hair is thinning and he has a definite build up of musk, but he doesn't act beleaguered as far as I can tell.

He's really a very sweet goat and I'd like to know how many years he has under his belt. :cake:

Attached Files:

2. nchen7

nchen7 Goatless goat momma

Feb 25, 2013
    Ontario
    i have absolutely no clue about goat ages...but i can say is that this guy looks like a wise old goat. He's got a great face, and lucky for him he found you.

3. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I have no idea, but those are beautiful horns! Amazing!

4. Sylvie

Sylvie city-turned-country girl

Feb 18, 2013
    Fallbrook, CA
    Do you have a pic of his teeth?

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    you can age a goat by teeth until four years old..then you "guestamate" by wear on the teeth...he is def. over 4 years old..lol...by his rack I would think he isnt any younger than 8 or 9...most likely older..I have an 11 year old Saanen Doe who is thinning some..hair isnt as robust as her young years...but still going strong....

6. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    If you can get a picture of his teeth we can try to guess his age. I don't like using horns as a way to tell because every goat is different in horn development, people can tip them and make them shorter ect.,

7. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Oh neat, that's very interesting information about the tipping of the horns and whatnot.

I'll see what I can do about a picture. :chin: