Anyone want a dog? (Dog bit goat)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Dani-1995, Apr 21, 2013.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Dani so sorry it has come to this. Someone mentioned giving him a sedative then loading him for his last ride?
    Hon if that cant be done, can you find someone who would be willing to fire a shot? Hugs.

2. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I can get him in a crate but I have chicks in them now but I think I can get something to put them in. The vets won't give us anything to sedate him because they can have an adverse effect and make him mad and aggressive. My dad has said he will take care of him but I'd rather him not though, it looks like he may have too.

3. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I have seen that happen, the aggression with sedation. ACE (probably the drug they were talking about) lowers inhibition threshold. And if the dog is prone to biting it can make it much worse. When I was a groomer, I refused to groom dogs under sedation due to the increased risk of me getting bitten.

4. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Why wouldn't you want to have your dad do it? It would be more humane. When I took my poor old dog into the vets to have him put down, he was terrified and he didn't go easily. He was paralyzed from the neck down but, not ready to go yet. I will never do that again.

5. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii
    I've only had home euthanasia. I've always paid the vet to come out and gently help my pet to sleep. However, if I had to choose between a very stressful vet visit or doing it myself? I would probably lean towards doing it myself.

6. Jodi_berg

Jodi_berg Goat Mom

Oct 28, 2012
    Vermont
    When we had to put out rotti/ mastiff mutt down @ 12 because of a degenerative spinal cond. we took him to the vet, where he was terrified,stressed and miserable for his last hour or so. That will be the last time I do that. A clean shot to the head is a humane way to go IMO. Next time I will be taking my sweet old friend on either his last woods walk or golf cart ride then my husband will end it for him in a place he loves and feels comfortable! dani your doing the right thing a dog that big that's that unpredictable, just think how your gonna feel if you re home and then find out he's mauled someone's child. It sounds like you've given him the best life you could! I respect your very responsible decision!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  7. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I've always heard horror stories about the bullet... I just don't want him to suffer. I hadn't heard of the paralysis... wow. Guess there's always a risk however its done.

When you guys mention the stress thing... the least stressful for him would be to put him in the stock trailer where he sleeps and end it. I have given my parents the ok to do what needs to be done. Truth be told, I don't think.my dad wants to do it. He plays tough guy but he's really a softy.

8. Sweet-little-baby-daisy

Sweet-little-baby-daisy New Member

Apr 20, 2013
    P
    Go to a nearby vet they usally put animals down for free if it's not free than its s
    Around75

9. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I would if he would ride in a car. It took an hour to get him in when we moved then the whole way he was very anxious and stressed... he pretty much licked his lips and whined the whole 20 minutes. Since then he's been bolder with his aggression and unpredictability. It makes it hard to take him anywhere especially since I want it to be as calm and stress free as possible for him.

10. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Death by bullet is a very good way to go. You just have to know where to shoot and do it correctly. It's not hard to learn or carry out and it's an instant "lights out." Death by lethal injection is usually much worse. This is sad...I just found out not long ago, but contrary to what many people think...the animal can often be suffering once injected while the chemicals take effect, but is unable to move or react. It's often very scary for the animal and some try to fight it and don't go quick or peacefully. It can be a very traumatic, painful experience. :( So if your dad can put him down by bullet, that would be my first choice. It's truly a "lights out" way to go...there's no pain, no suffering, no fear. It's an instant death.

11. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    I've been doing some reading on it and I think a bullet may be best. I've read that in really large breeds lethal injection isn't alway reliable since they need such a large dose and I am sure he won't go on a scale to be weighed after riding in a car to a strange place. I'm guessing he weighs a good 120lbs... at least! There is no way he'll even go in the building at all... It took him two days to come in the house when we moved and that was even bribing with food.

12. Used2bmimi

Used2bmimi New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Western Colorado
    I would have to agree that a bullet is best for the reasons already mentioned. It can even be safely done while he is eating out of a plastic bowl. Just have your dad research the correct angle and your dog will never have any stress. This is so hard and you are so strong. You are doing the right thing for him and you have a lot to be proud of. I'm glad you have such supportive parents.

13. Dani-1995

Dani-1995 Active Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Greenville, NC
    Thanks. I'm lucky to have such amazing parents. They know this dog means alot to me and have been very easy to get along with over it. They're actually usually really supportive in anything we kids do and help where needed.

14. FarmerJen

FarmerJen New Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Skagit County, WA
    I agree with the bullet. Only animal I've had a vet put down was a cat... but her body tightened up so hard with that injection, there's no way it was painless. She looked terrified. I felt horrible.

15. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    As someone who administers the 'green dream' injection to animals I feel the need to say that the majority of the time it is not a painful stressful way to euthanize like you all are describing. Yes sometimes the animal will fight it and it can take quite a while for them to pass, but usually they are unconscious very quickly (it is an anaesthetic) and death occurs shortly afterwards. Often very sick, debilitated and old animals can take much longer and greater amounts of the drug because their circulatory system isnt as effective at spreading it around the body.

No method is going to be 100% foolproof and humane. Just like the injection, a bullet can sometimes go wrong. I've seen someone put four bullets into a doe's head and she was still alive. I never want to have to see that again. I have also seen plenty of animals shot humanely and properly. I've seen sheep with their throats cut get up jump out of the yards and run away. It is the stuff of nightmares. But I've also seen many killed by cutting their throat and death is swift and humane.

Every method has the potential to go badly, and every method has the potential to be quick and humane. No method is painfree but we aim to make it as painless as possible.

I do think that taking into consideration this whole situation the bullet is probably the easiest solution.

However if you still want to inject not shoot - Dani - could you simply muzzle him and then have a vet out to inject him? If he is well behaved and trusts you, you should be able to easily slip a muzzle on him before the vet gets there. The vet should be able to lend you a muzzle too.

16. gardenbhean

gardenbhean New Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Mt. Shasta Valley
    Yikes! That's a huge jaw width on that bite picture!

That's a really hard thing to do, but good for you for having the strength to being able to make the right decision.

As much as I'm a dog lover as I am, it sounds like he has some really deep-set issues and more people need to know when to say "enough" before something really ****ed up happens...

My dog is half mastiff, and likes to chase away the jack rabbits but he stays clear out of the goat's way because the first one he met was a buck who turned and gave him a pretty solid thump on the head the first time they met.

17. Dayna

Dayna Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Pahoa Hawaii

What I ask vets to do is administer phenobarbital first. Then administer the euthanasia solution.

18. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Its becoming more and more popular especially.in small practice (dogs ad cats) to give a normal anaesthetic first to put the animal to sleep ad then administer the green dream. Its a slightly.more expensive approach but definitely avoids the possibility.of the animal.becoming.hyperexcited when the green dream first hits.