Anyone with a potbellied pig?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by billmac, Jun 24, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    We have one who is extremely overweight (our fault). We have cut her food way back, but I swear she is gaining still just on the grass she eats. Maybe we just aren't being patient enough, but I hate to put her somewhere where she can't even eat grass.

Any ideas?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We have two pot bellies. If you're graining her or giving her pellets, completely stop. Then I would dry lot her and feed only hay (if she's ok with that) my pigs are out on dry lot with hay and they are just perfect in weight, not to big, not to small. Grass will keep her weight up so I would pull her off and just feed good quality hay.

3. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Kylee,

I don't think she's ever eaten hay. She's had hay for bedding but I don't think she has or will eat it (unless, I suppose, she's starving). Our remaining hay is pretty low quality stuff, unfortunately.

The trouble is that pigs are so darn efficient at turning whatever they eat into weight. Is there anything that will satisfy her urge to munch that won't make her balloon up?

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Hmmm...I am not sure what would work. I think a big thing with my two pigs is they eat hay and they have a huge pen where they have to walk pretty far to get from the water hole to the feed to the shade and I have to say I have some pretty athletic little pigs. :ROFL: Ummm....could you maybe put her out on pasture grass half the day and then pull her in on dry lot? I think I would just shorten whatever she's getting fed and just wait and see if she drops any weight.

5. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I have one! She's fine now, but I worry she'll end up overweight, she has quite a knack for finding food she's not supposed to have. I let her freerange (although that may stop if she starts getting to fat), and I find her hanging out at the goat pen waiting for me to feed them, and on the rare occation she comes inside the first thing she does is check for dropped dog food, I've also caught her in the garage a few times when I had a bag of horse feed in there.

I'm thinking I would also go w/ putting her in a dry lot, where she's only eating what you're giving her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    No piggies here, but they sure are cute when they're little!

7. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Be real careful with dog or cat food. Our pig got into a bag a couple years ago and gorged on it and got salt poisoning. She went blind and had seizures for days. She's ok now, (other than being way too fat) but they are very sensitive to salt.

By the way, I gave her some hay in her pen. She pawed it into her house so she could lay on it.

8. Haviris

Haviris Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I think gorging on anything can be bad, I do my best to keep Hilda out of the dog food completely if I can, she gets a food made for PBPs, I have to order it. But I've known people that raise their Pots on dog food.