anyone with kikos?

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by billmac, Mar 20, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I just got a boer buckling and doeling, my first goats. I am curious about kikos. I have read that they require little, if any, supplemental grain for meat development. Anyone with experience? How do you like your kikos?

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I do not have them but I have thought about getting into them to breed my Cashmere bucks to to so I can get a bigger Cashmere producing goat.
    Now jut remember, you really will not be able to get a 100% Kiko anymore. There really is not any that are PURE anymore, they have been crossed with others.

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    We used to have Kiko crosses, but we don't have the land to pasture raise them, so I can't really help you there. They are hardy...ours hardly ever got sick. My complaints were that they weren't much thicker than our Nubians. And their conformation sucks...sorry but it does. The Kikos are just bred for fast rate of gain on little food, easy kiddings, and hardiness. I didn't like their feet and legs much at all...but then again I am a dairy show person, so conformation means a lot more to me than it probably does to someone just breeding for meat. lol

I wouldn't say that. There is a lot of people that have 100% NZ Purebred Kikos. Yes there are a lot of crosses, but you can get purebreds...they're just really expensive. :wink: