Anything I am forgetting?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by HoosierShadow, Nov 20, 2010.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Our first doe for 2011 is due on January 2nd, in 6 weeks! We're very excited! But since this is my first kidding experience in the winter, I figured I better ask questions and get any advice/tips before hand.

My husband foals horses in the winter, and I know they aren't much different in the way of needs from a goat kid. We're finishing our mini barn siding in the next week, so mama and baby will have protection from the weather.

I know to have extra towels, I am going to contact the vet clinic and find out how to get some BoSe. We have Banamine if mama needs it.
    Mama is getting her CD&T within the next week.

Anything else for a winter kidding? Our weather can go either way in January, I am in central KY, so we get a little bit of everything weatherwise, but mostly it just stays cold.

Also, our herd runs together - along with our buck. Our buck may be leaving for the winter, but if he doesn't when should we seperate him from the doe? Is it possible to keep them in the same pen for a few more weeks? He's very laid back, and doesn't mess with the girls, doesn't chase them around, etc. The only time I've seen him try to mount them is when they've been in heat. I am home most of the time and always watching them through the windows.

I was thinking probably a week before Christmas I'll start putting her in her stall at night, to get her adjusted to being in there. Her buddy has been her younger sister, should I put her in there too? Or just see how she does alone? I think she'd handle either way just fine, and until she kids we can use a pallet across the door so she can see the others.

I'm picking my brain apart right now trying to think of what we need to be doing to prepare, but I think once we finish getting the siding up this week, and getting a permanent door on the stalls, we should be good to go. Just the issue of seperating her from the buck if he starts bothering her. We don't have a winter shelter built for the buck just yet, it's going to happen if he doesn't leave for the winter.

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

2. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Your first kidding, how exciting! Yes do your best to seperate the buck at least from her.
    The most important thing is to have a dry,draft free area to keep the doe & kids in for at least a couple of days to bond. It does not have to be heated just draft free & dry.
    Plenty of clean dry bedding.
    I've put my does in as early as a week or so but now wait till the last minute if i can see kidding is immenent.
    When she stands off a little from the herd get her inside. Im sure you've read up on all this but a full shiney udder is a sign too.
    And dont be fooled to look out one day & see something hanging to find its only straw. Dont ask me how I know this.

She will suck down hot molasses water for a day or two. Dont forget to worm her soon as they've all settled down.
    And hang her bucket up high enough so A) She cant poop in it or worse, drop kid in & B) kids cant jump in it after a few days.
    Happy Kidding!! Looking fwd to hear how it all goes!

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

4. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    I must have weird goats, can't get them to eat Molasses >.>

Anyway... good luck with your kidding, it's not too hard at all, you'll see for yourself :)

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My FIRST thought when I started to read this was "OMG...New Years is ONLY 6 weeks away" :shocked: :laugh:

You've gotten very good info, I pretty much do the same...except, my bucks are not with my does.

I have kids born in February to March, the earliest was the end of January, I also have draught free stalls for each of my mama's and babies, deep bedding, buckets on hooks and I'm present at every birth. I have NEVER used a heat lamp and have had kids born in the single digits, once they are dried thoroughly and have a belly full of colostrum those little babies snuggle right up to mama and siblings for warmth. I do however watch to be sure they aren't chilled and have used puppy sweaters for the first day or 2. After that, a healthy kid can acclimate their body temp well enough to stay comfy in the cold. A warm shelter is a must though.

I start keeping paper feed sacks on hand a couple months before the girls are due, I put them under the does backside as she starts to push to help with cleanup and to keep the bedding dry. Also, you may already have these in your birth kit but I make sure I have a small bucket of very hot soapy water with me in the shed, just in the case that I need to scrub/lube up to assist. If I don't need it, I dump it out and use the bucket as a seat. :wink:

6. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    My first kidding will be at the end of Feb.... so I'm watching and waiting with you to see how it goes! Dont leave anything out! I want to know all about it... Good luck - I'll pray for you~ (and me too)
    Heidi

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    A pile of newspapers works too. But every time I get a feed sack or old towels to catch the kid the doe always moves :roll:
    If theres someone around I ask them to put the old pillowcase full of rag-towels in the dryer.
    Shoot you're gettin me excited for Jan & Feb too! :thumb:

8. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

You will do fine everything will be like your last births only you will be tracking threw snow every 2 hours to check on her. I have a warm boxed off area for the kids with a heat lamp for the first few days so I know they stay warm then you wean them off the heat lamp so they can regulate their body temperature themselves. Atleast thats what I did last year. We are going to be having babies around the same time. Good luck and I am sure you will be fine.

9. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Great info everyone thanks so much!
    I think the thing that helps a little is my husband's foaling experience since the farms here foal during Winter/spring. So I know a little bit about it too thanks to him. And I wouldn't think it to be much different than what you'd do with a baby horse :)

My husband bought more OSB to side the mini barn, so we'll have 3 sides completed possibly by this evening. The only thing now is to finish the run in shelter side, and hopefully we can do that within the next week. I also need to make doors! We have used pallets as temporary doors, but that's not gonna work in the winter time.

I think I'll shop for fleece on clearance, and rig up my own sweaters for the kid/s to wear. I'm sure I can come up with something if I use my imagination :)
    We have been building up the bedding in her stall, so no worries about not having enough bedding/warmth.
    I know my husband saves the feed bags, so I'll tell him to save me some :)

I think the only things I need now are a water bucket to put in the stall, any suggestions for an inexpensive bucket? I was thinking the black rubber ones at Tractor supply?

I'll post more in a little while, kids are hungry, so I better feed them before they have a meltdown LOL

10. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With my mini's I use those 2 gallon colored buckets from TSC...Perfect size for hanging up and they don't take up much space.

11. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Liz, I have one of those that I keep their mineral in, so I'll pick up more on my next trip to TSC.
    I need to get a hold of the vet clinic I was told to contact for the BoSe, I want to get nurtridrench, anything else I should definitely have for a winter kidding? We haven't needed anything more than what we have <banamine, SMZ's, ivermectin, la200>. CD/T will be given in the next day or two. Should I worm her now, and again after she kids? or just after she kids?

I'm going to look later this week for some material to either make my own fleece or find some doggie blankets on sale.

12. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    As for worming, I worm the day of kidding after everyone has settled in, then again 10 days later.
    Any worms present during that time just explode.

13. HoosierShadow

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks Nancy, I'll do that :)