The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do for poor Julia!? I just feel terrible for her, she is full of babies and definitely uncomfortable. She just lays around all day grinning her teeth I make her get up every few hours and move around, get water, eat, etc but is there anything else I can do for her to make her comfortable till she has babies? Due kind of anytime I'm guess buck was turned out for April 6th kids.
image.jpg

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Yes..just wave them under her pee stream.

You can also give molasses water for energy and a carrot and celery juice to boost her calcium.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Dont treat her unless she is showing signs of toxemia. Are her ankles swollen? Just make sure she has plenty of cool water and her temp is good. Sometimes the kidds get big and press on the rumen, bladder & lungs. So mama can have a hard time walking or just standing. Even laying down she may breath open mouthed. Its best to just be with her, check on her, until you get the test strips. My girls love to have their tummys lightly scratched when they are like this. They will just press against me for me to slowly lightly scratch. They melt.
Good luck.
Hope she kidds soon & easy.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
My extremely large does prefer to lay in a place that has a little hole/hollow in the ground for them to fit the belly. I guess it feels better because they did big nests for themselves in our soft barn floor.

If she has stopped eating grain, I would go ahead and drench her with a bit of Karo/Molasses mixed together just in case she is on the brink of ketosis. 20 cc to start. It won't hurt her if not. If she refuses grain again today, you should watch her closely and read up on Ketosis & treatments.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Carrots they love too as Cathy stated above. Great calcium vit source.

My goats get some sliced carrots in the morning with garlic if they need that too. I started out with just one or two but now alot of mornings they all get a few slices. They love carrots.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so she didn’t eat grain this morning, she just laid there grinding her teeth so I went ahead and drenched her with corn syrup and molasses. I just went and checked and she is laying there not grinding anymore seems the most relaxed that I’ve seen her in a few days. I’ll try and round up some carrots today and feed them to her.
Thanks you the help! I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Sounds like you did the right thing! Good idea with carrots. Keep us posted! I bet you have babies today!!

Also they sure appreciate having someone with them I think. Rubbing her back. Goat massage is what I call it,they appreciate that no matter if they are a wether or a doe! Lol.

Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I would plan to drench with the sweets twice a day now that she has gone off feed. I would also consider stalling her with a buffet of many many options to eat. The goal is to keep her eating no matter what. Carrots? great. A slice of bread? we'll take it. Leafy branch or evergreen boughs cut just for her! Don't make her compete with the other goats. Also offer a warm bucket of sweetened water (like with kool aid, gatoraid, syrup, whatever) alongside her plain water. She needs calories like now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought about stalling her but I didn’t know if that would be good for her or not especially not really knowing a due date. I have a very large pen set up for her when she kids that I’ll go put her in now with lots of feed options. Thank you for the suggestion!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok got her all set up (pen I a lot bigger than it looks) she is doing well I haven't heard her grind since I drenched her this morning. She ate a little grain when I gave it to her when I penned her. She has two types of grain, alfalfa, carrots, bread and a little beet pulp since I had some on hand. Regular water and Gatorade.
I'll drench her again this afternoon. I think we're all set! Now we wait for babies.
ligs are very loose but still there.
7A7E09EE-EDFD-4D05-B53A-99039F931F88.jpeg

1 - 20 of 265 Posts