The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
They have a wormy, mineral-deficient look about them to me. The ones in the first and last pic are also steep-rumped and short bodied. However, I think it all depends on where you are starting and what you want in your herd. It doesn't mention CL/CAE testing in the ad either though. It would be a good idea to ask about that, and udder pics of their dam's too. At least you would be saving their lives if you did decide to go for it! :)

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ya, am in agreement. The first and the third defiantly look to have a pretty good worm load. I see kids that are pulled to early off milk that look a lot like this cause they are forced to solids to fast and cant stay health enough to fight off the worms like normal. The middle one I think only looks best because he isnt as wormy as the other two. All three should be castrated and sold as butcher stock.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would keep looking. I don't really like how the ad starts out with "these are leftover buck babies from this year".... Kind of makes it sound like all the good ones were sold early and these are the culls. The middle one would be the better of the three though if you were wanting one, although he does appear a bit weak in the chine.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
If you go by the saying "A buck is half your herd" are you willing to have any of these be half your herd? If you're only looking for a breeder so you can milk your girls then sure, pick one up but like others said, they seem like maybe they're wormy and they'll take a bit of work to get healthy. If you consider money, these guys are selling cheap (looks like meat prices around here) and will take a bit more money thrown at them to get them into working condition

·
Registered
626 Posts
Like others have said the words left over kids make me cautious. If they were in my herd i wouldnt even offer them registerable. Those boys would be better off in freezer camp. 60 dollars is about market price right now too..... Our grade boys last year that we took to the sale went for 65 a piece.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I only have one alpine doe.. so she will be the only one, I want milk to keep incase I have to bottle feed. Plus I really need a buck buddy for my Boer buck. He sent me his website address, I am going to look their ad see.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This little fellow wouldn't be alive if it weren't for the efforts of the six-year-old farmer/daughter. He was a runt at birth who wouldn't eat. My daughter nursed him through the first few days making sure he got enough to eat. Now he's growing strong. Not as big or pretty as the two pictured above, but would make a good pasture mate.

That is what his website says about the middle buck,

http://www.oldcapitolfarm.com/does.html -Marta is his mom.
http://www.oldcapitolfarm.com/bucks.html- Skeletor is his dad.

·
Registered
117 Posts
middle one
but maybe photos of dams will be nicer for 1 & 2.
do those knees look big?

ask to see 2013 health paperwork from the farm first

then ask to see udders of dams on both sides...and any full sister's udders

how much is the mom milking? granddams?

even if paperwork doesn't come with him...ask for the ADGA numbers of the sire and dam...to enter in and up a ADGA Planned pedigree result

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That went down hill fast. Here is our conversation.

Me- Are your animals tested, and do you have health records?
Him- Sorry. Not for that price.
Me- you won't show health records?
That makes no since why you would with hold information on them. All I asked was if they or your herd has been tested, not to go test them. If you have health records on them what is the point of not telling the possible buyer, unless you have something to hide.
Him- If that is what you think then I can not help you. The truth is I feel I am doing the world of serious goat keepers a disservice letting them go this cheap. If I underbid everybody else with goats of this quality, it drives down the price. Folks like me spend to much on these animals to let that happen. I hope you find what you are looking for but I am not desperate enough to through the rest of my serious goat herding community under the bus.
Me-Wow you really are a piece of work. That is complete bull****. What ever the price you are selling an animal at, the buyer deserves information on that animal, especially the health of that animal. You don't sell an animal and tell the person that this is an extremely high quality animal but I won't tell you anything about him, not even when he was wormed last. It is completely wrong. As goat "keepers" our jobs are to provide quality and healthy animals and also educate new people in the world of goats. People just getting into goats are going to buy the cheapest ones they find and have no idea what questions to ask. <(normally) You are trying to scam people by saying your goats are high quality but yet you with hold all other information on them. I feel sorry for who ever buys them, I hope you decide to take them to the slaughter house or provide the proper information on them. It is breeders like you who give this industry a bad name. I hope you can see how not providing information make you look guilty of hiding something weather you are or not. God bless you and yours.
Him-Funny. You used bull**** and god bless in the same text. I told you how I feel and I was honest with my reasoning. How you take it is up to you. I am your hulk berry if you want to keep corresponding.

This man has blown my mind, I can not believe the way some people think.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
What the heck? That guy made no sence.

Even if they are wethers, my kids come with health records.

It's ok though, you'll find a lot nicer bucks down the road. That guys goats were rough looking, and he was ridiculous. And the fact that they are "leftover buck" means that they should have been wethered

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Wow!! That is ridiculous! That's some people for you. I actually got my little Bella from someone shady as well, unfortunately I didn't find this out until I got home with her. She is turning out to be a delight, and she is thriving here finally too. I'm just hoping and praying that when testing time comes that she will be clean of diseases, as her "supposed" mom was... If I had the conversation above, I would be tempted to call a livestock control person in your area to have it checked out.... I was tempted to with my case, some still think I should....

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was amazed at this guy. He just made zero sense.

I don't really have the space right now for another buck, hopefully by Wednesday my buck pen will be done so I will be on the hunt for a buck for my dairy girls and to be a friend to Mickey. If I don't find one I will just keep a spring baby and wether him to keep with Mickey.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts