The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because I dont think there is always an one sided approach to dealing with bottle jaw, worm load or any illness, we should each look to what will best work for our herd in our area...sharing what we have learned or articles that might help is part of being part of The Goat spot family...I have learned so much on here and continue to learn...so thank you for sharing!!! here is an article I read a while back and stumbled on again this morning...hope it helps!!

http://www.sheepmagazine.com/24-1/laurie_ball-gisch/

...although there is AVC in the electorlyte recipe I use, I think Im adding ACV drench to my treatment in the future..:D

·
558 Posts
Thanks for posting that link. Really good read!
I think I am going to try the ACV drench. My Prim struggles with clumpy, dog style poop often and she just isn't as spunky as she once was.
Cant wait to see if it helps!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
ACV is amazing! what CAN'T it cure????? lol i'd love to be able to ingest it myself, but gives me horrible stomach aches.....

thanks for the link Cathy!

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nchen7 have you tried Tipicos, also known as water kiefer, not the same as kiefer? it has helped my daughter with G.Bladder issues and acid reflux. She will also drink ACV ixed with water when an attack come on...

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
I had some friends with water kefir grains, and I wanted to get some....but their maids all threw the grains out. :angry:

water kefir grains would have been perfect here as coconut water is plentiful, but alas, it was not meant to be.... I have regular kefir grains though

if I put ACV in my water, I have the most HORRIBLE stomach pains.

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds like ACV is too strong for you. My daughter brews the tipicos in juice..when she uses grape it taste like wine..yuck..not a wine fan myself...but maybe if she tried grapefruit juice that would be good lol.....she ordered her grains off the internet..not sure how easy it would be to get some up your way..mightbe worth a look..;)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yes, I have friends who come/go from the US a lot, and I think my one friend brought some more back, but she's travelling until Nov, so I will wait.

interesting to put in juice. I saw on a blog that someone makes pop with it (that's soda in American speak...:p )

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes...it does turn the juice bubbly : )

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cider vinegar and water mixed 1:1 using 20 ml per the recommended dosage in the article.

·
1,132 Posts
I had two does last spring who had pale eyelids. I gave them both the same wormer but gave one ACV and gave the other a shot of B12 and Iron. The one I gave the ACV to perked right up and was red again soon after. The other one was still light/pale pink. I went ahead and gave the other one ACV and she came right around also. I don't know why it worked I just know that it did. I haven't had problems with worms since, and its been really wet since then. I did give all of them a copper bolus afterwards and have kept ACV in their water so that might have helped.

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
It's because of the Lactic Acid cycle and how tired and ill systems can't rid themselves of this acid which ultimately poisons them. The vinegar turns that Lactic Acid into harmless Citric Acid allowing the body to pee it out and recover quickly.

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Goat Hiker...its great to know the "why" :D.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Very interesting! I'm going to try this on a few unthrifty girls that I've been nursing.

·
Legacy Lane
726 Posts
I want to try this,.. what is the exact dosage they confused me.. is it 20cc, what if the goat is not full grown, and it is half and half right ?

·
Registered
31,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yep..mix 50/50 then dose from that...try a bit less, maybe 10cc for a young kid..there is no worry on over doseing..:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts