The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know why or how I come up with these questions but it seems to me it needs addressing before I go and give it to my guys. (Wethers). I want to add it to the drinking water. It’s half the price of filtered vinegar but both are apple cider vinegar. Do you think it ok to give??

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I agree, with the mother is fine, without the mother is fine. The big benefit to the ACV is to encourage drinking.

It won't do much to acidify to prevent stones, if that is what you are thinking. But the extra hydration is definitely of benefit there.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all that replied. Just want to be safe. Have a Great Thanksgiving

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree, with the mother is fine, without the mother is fine. The big benefit to the ACV is to encourage drinking.

It won't do much to acidify to prevent stones, if that is what you are thinking. But the extra hydration is definitely of benefit there.
Will the filtered help reduce stones?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Will the filtered help reduce stones?
By encouraging hydration, yes. It has little to no effect in any other way... Keeping your goats hydrated is prevention number 1, keeping the Calcium to Phosphorus ratio correct is prevention number 2. All other strategies come way below those 2.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,390 Posts
Actually, ACV doesn’t always benefit male goats. It’s a source of phosphorus. Many people overlook that. If you already have a very grain heavy diet it may not help much. I only really recommend adding ACV to the water if your water is hard water or if you already of a lot of calcium in the diet. Sure, it does make some drink more and that helps prevent stones but you must make sure that your diet allows space for it.

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Now Ammonium Chloride added onto your feed at each feedint time will definately help males with the kidney pronlems. Each of my bucks get 1/2 of the small dispenser each feeding. No stones in 2 1/2 years. Knock on wood.

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feed oats and alfalfa with a little boss to my wethers and buck. 3 parts oats and 1 part alfalfa. Mariarose, is this ok?

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
@TCOLVIN I used to give half and half alfalfa pellets and grains, because of what my hay/forage tended to be like. So what you are giving is probably fine. I know your mineral mix is in a proper ratio.

AC works best when it is given in an off/on method, rather than every single day. @goathiker taught me that.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
We give the kids (humans) show wethers electrolytes to encourage drinking, if that’s basically what you are wanting it for. The little packs can add up fast but there is a recipe for home made electrolytes that may come out cheaper. Nothing around here like ACV so this works for us.......plus it’s easier then filling a shopping cart up with jugs because I detest the long drive to go shopping

·
TKC Farms
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What hay do you feed? I would probably NOT give ACV with that diet.
Coastal Bermuda hay is about all they will eat besides peanut hay. I am fixing to start peanut hay as that's what is coming in here now. Goats love it, especially when peanuts are in the bale. Peanut hay is high in protein. I feed 2 cans (303 size tomato can) of whole oats and 1 alfalfa pellets with about 3 heaping table spoons of BOSS now to them twice daily. I am thing of once daily or cutting this in half twice daily. Also feed hay or peanut hay. This is for my Billy and 2 wethers.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts