The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have been told/read that apple cider vinegar is good to help prevent UC in wethers. Does anyone else use it for this, and how much would I need to put in their water? The bucket is about two gallons.
Should it make them drink more?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Apple cider vinegar can help prevent UC if the threat you face is calcium deposit stones. However, most stones are caused by phosphorous (a.k.a grain) and ACV won't help with that. I like to add ACV to water to help digestion, encourage more drinking, etc.

It does help prevent urinary calculi in the way of making goats drink more water, unless your goats don't like it. Same goes for how salt works for UC. That's why wethers should always have a salt source.

However, UC is best prevented by maintaining a healthy calcium to phosphorous ratio in the complete diet.

Add a splash to a 2 gallon bucket. Make sure to leave one water source without ACV, as some love it and some don't.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apple cider vinegar can help prevent UC if the threat you face is calcium deposit stones. However, most stones are caused by phosphorous (a.k.a grain) and ACV won't help with that. I like to add ACV to water to help digestion, encourage more drinking, etc.

It does help prevent urinary calculi in the way of making goats drink more water, unless your goats don't like it. Same goes for how salt works for UC. That's why wethers should always have a salt source.

However, UC is best prevented by maintaining a healthy calcium to phosphorous ratio in the complete diet.

Add a splash to a 2 gallon bucket. Make sure to leave one water source without ACV, as some love it and some don't.
Thank you! :) I only meant that it might help their water intake and do good that way. I think I will give it in the morning, so I can see their reactions properly.

So sorry to ask, but what do you mean by a splash? I want to make sure I don't under/overwhelm them, lmao. Teaspoon amount?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Thank you! :) I only meant that it might help their water intake and do good that way. I think I will give it in the morning, so I can see their reactions properly.

So sorry to ask, but what do you mean by a splash? I want to make sure I don't under/overwhelm them, lmao. Teaspoon amount?
1/8 cup or half of a 1/4 measuring cup
Redmond equine rock has sodium chloride as a salt source, good form of salt to use with wethers. A salt lick encourages water consumption.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I put about a Tbsp per gallon every time. I'm sure extra won't hurt, but if it's too strong they might not like it. But all my goats from babies to adults get that as their only water source and even the new ones that I introduce to the herd. They might not drink much at first, but they learn to love it(probably because they have no other choice ;) ).

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Probably 1 fl.oz. per gallon for me, too. Goats only drink this or electrolyte water. They don't care for plain water. Ha ha .

Reactions: Mary K

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts

A couple tablespoons, a.k.a 1/8th cup, doesn't have to be exact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts