The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
ACV can be used for just about anything lol...Great in home made electroyltes, it contains potassium, it helps in anemia, stops the sting after disbudding, aids as a disinfect, keep flies off your animals, ect....here is a link to an article on using ACV in many areas of farm life...
http://wickslivestock.com/articles-folk-medicine-for-livestock

for us two legged critters,
Heart burn
sun burn relief
rinse for hair
supports a healthy immune system
helps with weight loss
detox
helps reduce stains on teeth when used weekly
and soooo many other uses...

Best ACV is of course organic, I like Braggs, but when you need gallons and gallons many use a quality non organic brand....

·
Read Only
0 Posts
during the winter/cold months I put it into their water. A splash in small buckets and a girggle in the larger buckets.

I get mine from Azure in the gallon raw/unfiltered form. They love it and I always hope it helps with their immune support.

HTH

·
Registered
86 Posts
ACV is a natural source of safe potassium. In her book, Natural Goat Care, Pat Coleby says that it was a huge help in preventing birthing problems. Can also prevent urinary calculi in bucks/wethers. Her book lists many uses beside these two.

·
Registered
871 Posts
And just a side note here, you can make your own and it's awesome! You can use the peelings, cores or whole apples, chopped. Place them in a 1/2 gallon jar. Add one cup of organic ACV with some of the sediment from the bottom of the jar. Fill remaining jar 2/3 full with country water. (Not water from a city that has all kinds of chemicals and toxins added to it.) Place a clean stone or small glass or plate in the jar to hold the apple peels under the water. Cover with a coffee filter or piece of cloth and let sit for 6 months in a warm place. (A scoby will/should grow in it, which is a good thing and shows that you have a healthy, live product steeping.)

I make mine every fall when we have apples galore from trees, friends and sales. By spring, we have gallons of fresh, organic, healthy ACV to use for the following year in the kitchen and with our animals.

Here is a picture of 2 jars, (and some home made goat milk soap.) :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
A useful tidbit....if it's true... We used ACV last year in the water for all our animals. Used it in the goats water religiously. Had mostly doelings. Have since read that using the ACV will increase the likelihood of having females???? Dunno, but certainly worked for me! That was the 1st year I'd used it like that and had 90% doelings. Haven't used it this year, so we'll see how many doelings we have....

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow good feedback! I have does and let wethers so it sounds like they will benefit. I put some in the does water and they loved it! I just bought the Walmart brand bottle for $1.25 each. They had organic but it was almost $6 for the sane sized bottle!

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
Wow good feedback! I have does and let wethers so it sounds like they will benefit. I put some in the does water and they loved it! I just bought the Walmart brand bottle for $1.25 each. They had organic but it was almost $6 for the sane sized bottle!
Was it actually raw apple cider vinegar? It must be raw with the mother to really get any benefit from it. The other stuff has been pasteurized.

While ACV does help with UC, it shouldn't be your only way for prevention.

·
Super Moderator
32,251 Posts
raw AVC does cost more, but its where all the good stuff is...

·
4,328 Posts
The cost difference is VERY substantial ... I usually use Heinz acv, and hope they get some benefits. Raw is just crazy expensive!!!
I have thought about making my own, but I go through quite a lot...:(. When I do make some I'll probably hoard it for the humans!

·
Super Moderator
59,933 Posts
Okay. Not trying to get under anyone's skin here just had questions. Thanks everyone
Not getting under anyone's skin. Just trying to help you understand that there is a difference between the raw ACV with the mother and regular pasteurized ACV. While there are actual health benefits to the raw, if your goats are drinking more water with the regular ACV in it, that is good. There just aren't any health benefits.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts