The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so in the wake of my inner baking self <haha>, I decided to make some apple crisp tonight, and it smells soooooooooooooo gooooooooooood!

I use this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-appl ... etail.aspx

Follow the first persons comments at the bottom to adjust the recipe - by adding 1/2 cup of rolled oats, and using 3/4 c water and 3/4 c brown sugar.

BUT <and please bare with me I am no good at minimizing/writing recipes LOL>

I cook my apples before I put them in the oven and make apple juice/cider whatever you wish to call it, and it's soooooo yummmmmmmy!

I like to make a lot of juice, usually 3-4 qt. so it lasts longer.

So.... I have a very large pan that I use, and I use around 10-12 apples - peeled, cored, sliced into 1/4 -1/2 in pieces, so they aren't too wide but not too thin.
I put in about 2-4 qts of water, and about 5-6 cinnamon sticks, and about 3/4 to 1 cup of brown sugar. Sorry I don't measure anything out, so I am estimating!

If you use a 5 qt. pan, use 8-10 apples, 3 cinnamon sticks, and 1/2-3/4 cup brown sugar, if it's not sweet enough then you can add more sugar before it's finished cooking.

Bring it to a boil, I use medium heat - I have a flat top electric stove and use 6-7 on the setting.

I leave it boiling about 15 minutes, then turn it down to about 5, medium heat, and 10 minutes later I check it and if the juice is tasting just right, I turn it down to a simmer, then wait 5 minutes or so and turn it off.

Let it cool for a while.

Then.... get the apples out. I have a strainer with a handle, and dip it inside, or use a small cup -- drain the apples over the pan, and make sure no pieces of cinnamon stick break off into them.

Then you can put the apples in your pan to use for the apple crisp! And instead of using water in that apple crisp recipe, use juice from the apples you cooked!

You have the juice to enjoy while your apple crisp is cooking! Or if it's too much sweets for one evening, you can put the juice in the fridge, and heat it up later. My husband likes to heat it up and take it to work with him in place of coffee!

Anyway.... I wanted to share because this stuff is really good!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Ohhhhhh sounds so good! I may just have to head to my local farmers market this mornig for more apples!

Hey, has anyone ever heard of an apple called "honey crisp"? My M-I-L bought some up in amish country last week and they are just wonderful.....like a cross of a green/red apple, very crisp! Probably not good for cooking, but great for eating :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
Honeycrisp apples are my family's absolute favorite. An orchard about an hour away from us grows them where you can pick-your-own. Here they are ready Labor Day weekend. The first day they are available, we drive there and pick a few bushels. To us, they are the best-tasting and nice and crispy and juicy. A friend last year made an apple pie at Thanksgiving with Honeycrisps and it was incredible. It depends how you like your apples in a pie, we don't like ours mushy and like that the Honeycrisp holds its' shape. I guess you could precook them a little if you prefer them softer.

Anyway, had to respond - LOVE honeycrisps!!!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I'll have to try cooking with them then......I love a firm apple! They are the best ever!

·
14,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow they sound yummy! I'll have to call our local orchard and see if they have any! I've been trying to make an excuse to get over there!
BTW, I've heard the more sour/flavor the apple has, the better it is to cook with! <with the exception of granny smiths LOL but mix them and they are good to cook with!>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts