Apples in Diet

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by KW Farms, Sep 5, 2009.

1. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    We grow fuji and gala apples and after harvesting our galas...there is TONS of apples left over that we "cull". There is nothing wrong with them, just they are misshaped or two small etc. and we don't send them to the warehouse. I know goats love apples as treats, but what do you think of putting apples in their diet? I was thinking one apple per day per goat, but I don't want to do this until I hear some opinions. What do you guys think?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    apples wont hurt them -- and if you cut them up they will be easier to eat

If you feel you want to regulate who gets one or not I guess thats fine, I usualy just throw stuff like that in a dish and let those who are interested fight over it lol

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    So as a daily thing that wouldn't hurt them any? We have a big pen so I was thinking to just like you said, maybe cut them in half and throw them all over so whoever wants some can get some.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    something like that should work :)

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... :wink: ....apples are OK to feed your goats....they sure do love them... :greengrin:

6. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    My goats eat quite a few apples this time of year and haven't even had clumpy poo from it. They seem to self-regulate pretty well--they could have as many apples as they wanted but they only eat a few and then move on to something else...

7. jenfrank

jenfrank New Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I sure hope the same goes for pears!! My Carmella eats pears daily. We have 2 pear trees in our yard that drop pears all the time. I throw some over the fence for the neighbor's horses, so they won't tear down the fence to get to them, and then Carmella eats what she wants.