are both mine full pygmys?

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by pygmymommy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. pygmymommy

pygmymommy New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Well my mom and i are vet techs so we keep a close eye on my goats weight. We don't want big chubby goats ( no offence ) we want healthy goats, but i mean they are very active they run around on an acre of field daily and don't get much grain, mommy gets alittle more now but not the little guy. You can tell that she is pregnant in the picture of her in the barn because of her udder (she's a ff) and she is alot bigger then the other pictures. But thank you very much, Im really excited!

2. pygmymommy

pygmymommy New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I just found out by the farm who had my doe that she is registered. So what are her faults and if i wanted to breed her what would i have to breed her to to make a better quality baby?

3. mjgh06

mjgh06 New Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Great! Will they give you her papers so you can transfer the registration? If they will, I would definitely get a registered buck to breed with. Here is the breed conformation
    sheet http://www.npga-pygmy.com/resources/conformation/NPGABreedStandard.pdf
    You want to look at your doe objectively, determine her areas that need improvement to meet or exceed standard and then find a buck with those qualities which do meet or exceed standards. Pay close attention to body structure. Try to look at the buck's parents and see if those same qualities are there as well to know if it is a dominant trait. You will never get the perfect standard pygmy, but our goal is to try to improve to it as close as we can.

Now for my objective opinion - and this is based solely on the pictures you have. She may look different in life. Her biggest fault is her body capacity. Although she seems short in stature which is a great quality, she is not cobby at all. What you see as healthy and not fat is considered thin and a fault in a pygmy. When I look at a non-pregnant pygmy, I want to see the width to be the same or more than her length.
    Here's a pic of a pygmy (not pregnant) doe at 2yrs old
    http://www.elwoodranch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/024.jpg Notice how wide she is and this is not being pregnant. Pygmies are known for this trait. It is a must within the standard. (Also notice the long neck in the picture - that is a fault. My doe needs a shorter, more stout neck.)

It is hard to breed this trait back into a pygmy line because bucks carry a smaller paunch than does. You would definitely need to look at the doe mother of a buck to determine if he would carry a better body trait. If she were mine, I would want to get a buck whose mother was overly stout and continue this for at least three generations to get her line where it should be.

I think once you read the standards and familiarize yourself with what you are looking at, you'll be able to see where you need to go with her. But it's a must if you are wanting to breed purebreds that will do well at show.

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Just because she is registered does not mean it is through the NPGA... There are other mini organizations through which she could be registered. And if she is... I hate to say it but she shouldn't have been registered as she lacks alot of breed recognization. Too much. I understand that there are faults but nothing about that doe says she's a purebred Pygmy. I've spent years researching purebred pygmies vs registered pygmies vs unregistered mixes. Unless I had NPGA papers in hand or sire and dam's reg names and numbers I wouldn't think a thing of it. She was sold to you without papers for a reason. Just my two cents :)

btw- it's nice seeing new Pygmy peeps!

5. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    They are cuties though! :) I do like the doe, she doesn't seem too bad. I don't care for her head, she could use a shorter neck and broader chest floor and a little bit more muscling but with the right buck you could get some nice babies! If she is registered I would be curious on her background (ie - her sire and dam's registered name; I love doing pedigree research!)

6. imthegrt1

imthegrt1 New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    kentucky
    What would you say would be the price difference in these as far as purebred register and not register ?

7. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I would say, honestly... Quite a bit. I would never sell an unregistered buck. I sell my unregistered wethers for $75, and my unregistered does for $100-$150. My registered wethers go from $100-$150 and I have spent from $150-$500 on my breeding stock. I love my Pygmies and take hugeee pride in my herd! And yes, I am crazy for those little chubbers! ;)

8. imthegrt1

imthegrt1 New Member

Jan 12, 2013
    kentucky
    I found this buck kiddo for 80 bucks and register with papers think I might buy

image-4118698057.jpg

9. pygmymommy

pygmymommy New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    I got her for $50 as a pet not to show so i don't really care, i just wanted to see what you guys thought. All he said was she was registered and i have an ear tag for her. Im keeping her babies and she's not going to be breed again it was an accident to begin with.

10. pygmymommy

pygmymommy New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    The boy, i don't have a good picture of the girl but she's the same face wise but has no white other then on her face.

ForumRunner_20130126_062339.jpg

Both of them
    ForumRunner_20130126_062424.jpg

11. pygmymommy

pygmymommy New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    My girl looks just like them!

12. ChristinaK

ChristinaK New Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Cle Elum, Wa.
    The one with the chicken, is really cute!!

13. pygmymommy

pygmymommy New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    That's my mamma goat! :)