Are Bovivet teatplugs too big for Goats?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by villager, Dec 1, 2010.

1. villager

villager New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Does anyone know if Bovivet teatplugs (teat cannulas) can be used for goats? When I asked at the vet-supply store here, the counter staff said that they could be, but looked a bit shifty as they said it. I suspect that the teatplugs are too big for goats, but I would appreciated any comments, particularly if there is a link to teat cannulas specifically made for goats.

The photo is a bit murky after resizing, so let me give some details of Bovivet's teatplug:

no hole right at the tip
    diameter at tip = ?" (3¼ mm)
    diameter at first side hole = 5/32" (3½ mm)
    distance from tip to the edge of the first side-hole = ¼" (6½ mm)

One of my goats has just had kids, but the milk at one teat was not coming out quite right. The teatplug did not want to go in with gentle pushing, which leads me to think that it is unsuitable for goats.

Ta

Attached Files:

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I know this is not helpful to you at all, but what is this for? It looks really interesting, but I am stumped.

Jan

3. villager

villager New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Oh dear, this is where I show my ignorance: I thought that thing was a teat cannula. That is what I was told at the place where I bought it.

I have just found this reference to bovivet on the internet: "For cows with damaged teat sphincter, the drain can be inserted for an extended period and the stop plug used between each milking".

You can see a hole in the side, near the end, at the left. There is another hole on the opposite side, along towards the right where the thing narrows down. The red bit is removable. How the thing works, I have no idea. My internet connection is miserably slow, so I cannot track down any more information.

Upon reflection, that thing is not a cannula, is it?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's similar to a teat cannula, a cannula though is meant to be removed after milking...this appears to be something that is left in the teat.

As far as your doe that just freshened, the teats have a natural waxy plug in the orifice to prevent bacteria from entering before freshening, she may need some help getting that plug worked out, gentle massage and rolling the teat between your fingers helps, stripping the teat out works too...if that doesn't work, a pair of sterile forceps will help grab it and pull it out.

5. beverly0223

beverly0223 New Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I can really "relate" to this post. I have a poor girl who was injured and tore off the end of her teat along with the sphincter. She leaks constantly now. I was told by a local farmer that such a thing existed and could be used to plug it off when not milking and release to milk..... BUT I really can't find out any solid info. I'm sure that photo is exactly what we would need.... Where is that from? how much are they? can I order them online? did you have any success? Really truly Thank you if i get any solid answers... it is starting to become a problem with the dripping milk and it will be a real problem once the temps drop into the freezing range!