The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will hopefully be getting one of the 2 bucklings soon to raise up as a buck for my 2 does. They're Nigerian dwarf. I have researched and heard some people say moonspots can be any color except white or black. I don't think the brown with white baby is moonspotted but not sure on the other one. Are either of them moonspotted? Which one would make the prettiest babies with my does?what color are my 2 does? They're tan and white but 1 has a black belly. I am new to this site btw! Hoping to learn alot from y'all! I already know alot from showing in 4H and researching but I know there is still alot to learn! I know pretty much nothing about goat color genetics. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass

Plant Working animal Goat Grass Terrestrial animal
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass

·
Registered
Raising Nigerian Dwarf goats as backyard milkers.
2,526 Posts
Unless it’s hidden I don’t think either are moonspotted. If your going for flashy babies the first one would be great. If you want to breed for goats with nice conformation (body structure) and good genetics you would want to get the nicer one. Whichever that is; the pictures make it hard to tell. Are either of your does registered? Or these bucklings registered? @CountyLineAcres @Dandy Hill Farm @Lil Boogie

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,385 Posts
I'm not sure all your pictures came through. I'm only seeing two goats here and only one is labeled a buckling.
😉
Of the two goats you have pictured here, I'm not personally seeing any moonspots, but those pictures are not conclusive. We'd need to see them from both sides in good lighting to give a better guess.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Welcome!

It’s hard to tell from this picture. I don’t see any visible moon spots. Having said that, I have a moon spotted buckling that has two moon spots, one on each rear leg and it’s almost impossible to see in most pictures unless it’s just the right angle. They sure are cute though! Do you have pictures of your does? There are people here who are great with goat colors and can help you figure out what they are too.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They’re flash (color wise) that first one makes me think of a calico kitty, lol. Calico isn’t a color pattern for goats, but that one looks like a calico 😉

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found some more... Are these moonspotted? I think they are! If so which one would produce the best moonspotted babies? I want whichever will throw the flashiest babies. They're brothers.
Vertebrate Goat Working animal Mammal Goat-antelope

·
Registered
Breeding Registered Nigerian Dwarf Goats
2,738 Posts
I found some more... Are these moonspotted? I think they are! If so which one would produce the best moonspotted babies? I want whichever will throw the flashiest babies. They're brothers. View attachment 232207
Yes, those boys are both very heavily moonspotted. Now, as to who will produce the flashiest offspring, I'm not sure and don't think there's a set answer as it will also depend on the does they are bred to. However, since they are full brothers, I would think they would produce very similar (if not the same) color patterns...... @CountyLineAcres knows more about color genetics than I do, maybe she'll have something to add.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Posted the 2 does above that I'll be breeding to the moonspotted buck. Does this seem like a good cross to get flashy moonspotted babies? What would the babies look like? Moonspotted?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts