Are goats susceptible to Lyme?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by newtogoats, Sep 5, 2008.

1. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Here in the northeast we are concerned about Lyme disease carried by deer ticks. Dogs and people are susceptible. Are goats? We would have them in a mowed, grassy area that was fenced in, so not much problem there, but I was thinking of bringing them on walks through the woods to eat brush. I would check them for ticks afterward, but they can easily be missed. anyone have experience in this? Thanks, Lauren

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    we also have deer ticks in our area --- cant get away from it.

My sister had lyme twice and my grandmothers dog had it (died from it years later) but I have only seen ticks (dog ticks) on our goats but a couple times. Dont know if this is because ticks dont like the goats or the goats havent been in an area where the ticks are :shrug:

I would believe that goats can get lyme

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    You know, that is a great question. I have never heard of a goat getting it but you never know. I am going to check into it just because you perked my curiosity.
    My husband had Lymes several years ago.

4. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    A friend of mine had a doe that couldn't maintain her body temp and was just very lethargic. Vet said it was lyme. I'm not sure how he diagnosed it symptoms or blood draw.

5. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Because it has moved westward from Connecticut (we have had friends in the area with Lyme issues, usually caught rather quickly these days, now that people are so aware of it), our vet recommended a Lyme vaccine for Stella. She has had no ill effects from it, although I do worry about all the vaccines, but we have deer, so we have the ticks around too and as everyone has said it is debillitating and can be deadly. I wonder if they have the vaccine for goats?

Wow, I didn't know they had Lyme out west!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with everyone ,,,you cannot hide from them and yes goats can get it,,,so sad............ :cry:

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I do believe goats can get it as well. . . . My aunt has a buck that MAY have it, not really sure on that.