are my girls preggers? edited to add new pics

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by jay13, Dec 4, 2009.

1. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Ok, I am totally new to goats and we got two girls who will (hopefully) be first fresheners this spring. I've never been involved in the, erm, action part of the breeding process before and wasn't sure what to do/think/ect. We were able to rent a goat from a local Boer goat farm to breed to our girls as we won't need to add to our herd for quite some time. They are both Alpines. We brought him home in August as I was expecting OUR baby in September and didn't' want to have to worry about getting the new guy acclimated while we were working on sleep deprivation. Anyway, you should see him, he is cute his owner hasn't named him and we can't keep him so we just call him grapefruit. But he has these almost stubby lookin legs especially compared to the beautiful lines of the Alpines. We saw him try to mount the girls a couple times in mid October but it didn't seem as if he was tall enough to reach. I even went so far as to put a pallet in the pen with the hopes that he could use it as a step. :oops:

I have been on the board for a while, posted a looooong time back when I was trying to get things set up for the girls back in April. I did manage to take before pictures of their back sides (they don't want to stand still for that at all) It looks to me like they have filled out some but I dont' know if thats because we have started including some grain in their diet now that fall is here or if they are preggers. I managed to get new pics today and was wondering if anyone could help me determine if Grapefruit can go home now or if we have to keep him around much longer. The only sign I had that the girls were even in heat was the behavior of the buck ... doing that lip thing after sniffing their pee....eeeewwww. And I haven't seen that since October so I HOPE they are bred. Any thoughts?

The lighter colored one is Millie and the Darker is Vanili. Oh and there is virtually no udder development is this normal if they are preggers?

edited to add new pics from this morning without holding their tails. whew! vanilli is a shy gal!

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Re: Borrowed buck, owner wants him back, are my girls preggers?

your girls do look to be pregnant to me.

I hope they arent fooling me and you but it does look very hopeful that they are settled.

SO glad you had before pictures :thumb: good for you :hi5:

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA

The 2nd doe is definitely preggers.... I can't tell on the first doe. Are you holding her tail up or is that her holding it up naturally? The best way to get a pic. for prego checks is to give a bit of grain in a bowl and then walk behind them, kneel down so that you are taking a picture straight on of their rear (tail and vulva... udder area is good too but not necessary) :- ) Make sure you are not holding the tail up... it needs to be natural.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

I have to agree with Stacey, those pooches look like plump preggy pooches to me too :thumb:

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

Unfortunately I had to hold their tails up for all the pics as they are modest little girls and any attempt to get a pic from behind has them holding their tails down tight. Does it make that much of a difference? With the three goats in the pen right now, putting a bowl of grain down has the three of them butting heads for position (doesn't matter if there are 3 bowls, they all want the same one) which makes all the pics turn out blurry. I am glad the consensus seems to be that they are preggers. Its a bit annoying when the owner (who we are paying a small stud fee to btw) keeps bugging us for his animal back. Turns out that this guy would have gone to the slaughter house with all his brothers if he hadn't been at our place. I guess the owner found a buyer for him so its this guy's lucky break!

6. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

OMG I just realized I have a ton of things that need to be done/bought/made before the kids arrive I guess in late March? At least the weather isn't too bad that time of year in NC. The rare hard freeze and the goaties have a warm place to be anyway.... any ideas on a list of kidding gear I need? I know I will need to disbud (not looking forward to that) since I have field fence which could be fatal if they got there little horns stuck... more lists seem to be in order now... help?

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

yes it can make a difference if you pull the tail up as opposed to them lifting it up. Now if you ever have to hold it up never pull on it (this distorts the pooch area and can give a "false reading" :p ).

8. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

I don't think I pulled but will take new pix tomorrow and just cross my fingers they aren't fuzzy pix

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I dont think you distorted anything -- they look natural enough to me

10. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC

Cool, we will be able to sent Grapefruit home soon then, or off to his new home anyway. He is completely un-socialized. The owner said they do that on purpose so that the bucks don't try to "play" with you when they get huge. Have you run into this problem before? I always thought that if you trained them to a lead when they were small that the big bucky problems aren't so big later on?

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

different schools of though on it. But my take: to friendly bucks can be hard to handle as they never learn personal boundries and who truly is boss. Bucks socialized enough to know you wont hurt them and are friendly enough to come up for some treats or a bit of attention are good.

Some bucks are well mannered and "respectful" even with being friendly and sociable. Others get real pushy and demanding as well as rough. This can be intentional or unintentional.

Its a personality thing more then not really. Larger bucks are just more to handle even with friendly. I love my little guys.
    My boys are real sweet and love attention - they can try pull you around on the leash but since they are small I can handle them pretty well.

I did handle some bucks that were standard dairy when I was younger and they were friendly and good, but they were also very young.

Socializing doesnt make them hard to handle -- its their overall strength combined with personality that does.

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    new pics added from this morning

I added new pics to the OP.... any change in thinking? I need to get this bully away from the girls I think....