The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have these island dairy goats, could be a mix of anything - Nubian, togg, alpine, saneen, and ??

I measured my over 2 year old ff, Buttercup, and according to the goat weight calculator she weighs only 81 lbs. Her 3 month old buckling weighs 45 lbs. I forgot to measure how tall they are, but do they seem small to you all?

I'll double check my measurements in the morning, and get their height at the shoulders just to make sure.....

I wonder if they just make them small here?? What size should they be?

·
Registered
201 Posts
My PB Nubian doe is 77 lbs, but she should weight about 85 - 90 at least (she is a bit underweight). Since yours are of such large breeding, I'd say your doe is in good shape. It also depend on how big her udders are and how good of weight she is, plus her height. She'll grow till she is 3 or so.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
With being island goats, you really can't judge them by the standard. Do they look unhealthy? Are their ribs showing? If they are of good weight and health, then they are probably fine.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm...ok

I just keep reading about all of these alpines and Nubians being up to 100+ lbs, so i'm just worried mine are small or was mal-nourished when smaller....

I think they look pretty good, a teensy bit on the skinny side, but they're mostly on forage, so I don't expect them to be too big...

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
But those goats are pure breed goats and given lots of hay and grain. Plus they are in the states getting a much different kind of forage than yours.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know! just the only literature I can find on size and stuff! i'll take some pictures and post tmr....

sorry....being a fretting first time mom right now....

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Posting pictures will help. Do an online search on how to body score. That will help you too. Then you can judge if your goats need more groceries or not.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Karen, will do!

Stephanie, I call them island goats for geographical reasons...nothing special! lol
like, calling people here island folk....

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
The breed standard for
Alpines; does should be 130lb minimum, bucks 170lb minimum. Does should stand 30 inches at the withers, bucks should stand 32 inches st the withers, both are minimum.

Nubian; does should be 135lb minimum, bucks 170lb
Does should stand 30" minimum, bucks 32"

LaMancha; does should be 130lb minimum, bucks 160
Does should stand at 28", bucks at 30" minimum

Oberhasli; does should be 120lb minimum, bucks 150
Does should stand 28", bucks 30" minimum

Saanen; does should be 135lb minimum, bucks 170
Does should stand 30", bucks 32"

Toggenburg; does should be 120lb minimum, bucks 150
Does should stand 26" minimum, bucks 28"

All are the minimum hight and weight of the breed standard of a standard breed size dairy goat.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
The breed standard for
Alpines; does should be 130lb minimum, bucks 170lb minimum. Does should stand 30 inches at the withers, bucks should stand 32 inches st the withers, both are minimum.

Nubian; does should be 135lb minimum, bucks 170lb
Does should stand 30" minimum, bucks 32"

LaMancha; does should be 130lb minimum, bucks 160
Does should stand at 28", bucks at 30" minimum

Oberhasli; does should be 120lb minimum, bucks 150
Does should stand 28", bucks 30" minimum

Saanen; does should be 135lb minimum, bucks 170
Does should stand 30", bucks 32"

Toggenburg; does should be 120lb minimum, bucks 150
Does should stand 26" minimum, bucks 28"

All are the minimum hight and weight of the breed standard of a standard breed size dairy goat.
By how old? 1-2-3 years?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Lacie! will keep those handy when I measure them tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
My PB Nubian doe is 77 lbs, but she should weight about 85 - 90 at least (she is a bit underweight). Since yours are of such large breeding, I'd say your doe is in good shape. It also depend on how big her udders are and how good of weight she is, plus her height. She'll grow till she is 3 or so.
A full grown Nubian doe should should be 135lbs at least, bare minimum, and 30" minimum hight.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
By how old? 1-2-3 years?
Normally by the time they are 1 and a half they are done growing up, and start getting their depth.
So they should be at that minimum by 1 1/2 years old, sometimes 2. Sooner the better.

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
But we are talking about pure breed goats that are in the states and getting diets that would be very different than you can find on the island. Animals adapt to their environment so the goats on the island may not be as big as your pure breeds in the states.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It also depends on how many generations you are from foundation stock and what size has been used during those generations. It is pretty common for somewhat smaller animals to do better in island situations and they are often either intentionally or unintentionally selected for in those environments. I don't know what type of feed supplies and forage you have available since it varies greatly from one island to the next, but it can be a factor. i would go less by what is typical on the main land and more by the health and body scale results of your goats. If they are healthy and in good flesh then I wouldn't worry if they are smaller in stature than their distant ancestors were or their distant cousins are now.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, here is a picture of them all. the black one is the FF...she doesn't look so bad. but the larger white one, she looks a little skinny to me (75lbs-ish)....BUT it's so hard for me to put weight on her!

I measured their height, but I can't remember now.....

btw - what colour would you consider Missy to be? the white one with the grey on top. I bolused the big girls over a month ago, and she's getting more colour on her!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts