The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed my goats hind quarters and backs looking a little thin it seems to me.....

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do feel they should get some more weight on them, but they don't look starving. Make sure you are all up-to-date with deworming and I would give them some more hay.
They are due for deworming I haven't been feeding any hay they are browsing a 5 acre clear cut and getting fed noble goat every other day.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Okay,
Well get them all dewormed. Especially since they are browsing it's always important to keep up with it.
I would also give them at least some hay, because it doesn't look like that browse is feeding them enough. They aren't skinny, but they could use a little more weight.

Are they meat goats or dairy goats?

·
14,615 Posts
Yes they do need some hay. Grain as well, they really do need it for growth. If you can get it with 17% protein or so it would really help.
And I agree about the worming.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They are meat goats. I will get them started on hay and protein right away. What do y'all prefer as a dewormer ? Shots? Pellets? Brand?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been feeding them feed that supposedly helps prevent that..... Ivomec through shot is what I worm with.

·
Registered
198 Posts
They look more like dairy animals then meat animals that are supposed to be very stocky. That means that they are really underweight because I was seeing them as a dairy animal.
I would use Ivermectin, Safeguard, or Valbazen. I would give Ivermectin orally because it really knocks 'em dead. Always rotate your dewormers too.
I do like the grain you are feeding, but it is only a preventative, not a treatment. Since they are browsing, they are more vulverable to high worm loads.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
if you prefere oral..grab Valbazen (1 ccper 10# orally)..it will take care of tape worms and Liver fluke where others wont...You dont really want a quick kill..slow and steady is better...quick kills can cause bleed out in heavy loaded goats..
Dimethox or sulmet for OTC Cocci treament and Baycox if you have time to order..horseprerace.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you prefere oral..grab Valbazen (1 ccper 10# orally)..it will take care of tape worms and Liver fluke where others wont...You dont really want a quick kill..slow and steady is better...quick kills can cause bleed out in heavy loaded goats..
Dimethox or sulmet for OTC Cocci treament and Baycox if you have time to order..horseprerace.com
I just got done giving ivomectrin orally

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
Bloat is high and tight on the left side...pregnancy is carried on the right side...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't have a pic of the certain one I will take one Tom... From what I saw its really on both sides.

·
Registered
30,573 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts