Are the Goats getting enough grain?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Lexibot, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, we've been wondering if we're under feeding them. I know some people don't have to grain theirs at all cause of their pasture, we don't have that quite yet.

So I need to know how much to give to my goats. I was told a 16 oz soup can each is okay, but is this once a day, or twice?

In cups, how many should they have each? Currently my grain consists of sweet feed (oats, chopped corn, and molasses) with 1/4 added BoSS.

What do you think??? Suggestions?

2. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    It depends what kind of goats you have and also maybe the individual goats. My goats that are not milking don't get any grain at all. And they don't have a pasture either, yet. They just get hay and they have a little spot to browse, but not much in it. One of them got so fat on no grain and just hay because I didn't breed her, that I am very worried now about breeding her and trying hard to get her weight down. So she needs to be separated from everyone else and fed starvation rations, but I have no way to do that or the heart either. So if your goats are not too thin, you are giving them enough. If they are too fat you are giving them too much.

Jan

3. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay, Thanks for the info.

I have mostly Alpines/Nubians. 1 is in milk, she gets a little more and does fine. I pretty much feed them as much hay as they like, since they don't really get the browse right now.

I feed them all at night, they tend to look fat right after, but the next morning they look normal. The ones that tend to look fat more than others are the boer goats, I think that's just cause they hog most everything, lol :)

A couple weeks ago, I thought they looked too fat, so I reduced their hay, they seem to be looking more normal now. I am relieved that my goats are doing okay then.

They get about a flake a day or so. I feed them hay 2 twice a day and grain them at night.

4. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    They don't sound like they need more grain. They sounds good.

Jan

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Don't confuse a full belly with fat. Check for their ribs. You shouldn't be able to see them on the dairy goats, but you should be able to feel them easily. Boers should be much more muscled than the dairy goats.

6. goatskeeper

goatskeeper New Member

May 14, 2010
    Algeria
    i have alpine doe , she is lactating now, i can feel the ribs with my hand but not so easy.

7. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    If I see ribs what should I do? The new ones are on the skinny side right now, I believe that is because the old ones are getting to the food faster since they know how things go. What should I do for the new ones that are still trying to learn how my farm works?

They are starting to get the hang of things, should I leave it be for a while longer?

8. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Yes, just be patient. It takes a while to build the muscle to fill them in. Trying to put weight on fast only adds fat around the internal organs and that isn't what you want.

9. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    OKay thanks, they all got a little more grain and hay today, they seem to be starting to look a little better. They are warming up very nicely to me too, I will be able to catch them and worm all the goats soon :) it's about that time again.

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    some goats you will see the ribs on no matter how much you feed them or worm them. I have a very dairy goat who produces a lot of milk. But after I dry her off she puts on weight and does well through her next pregnancy. Some high producers are just like that.

11. Lexibot

Lexibot New Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Missouri
    This has reassured me a little. Grace who is milking seems to get plenty to eat, has a good belly, but sometimes her ribs stick out :( I can only feed the goat as much as she's willing to eat, lol.

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup totally normal for dairy goats.

if you want to you can email me a picture [email protected] and I can give you an opinion based on my experience with dairy goats if she could use a differnet feed or if her body condition is because of her milk production.