Are these Cocci?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by RunAround, Oct 7, 2009.

1. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I was really motivated, after spending $40 for two fecals the other day at the vet, to figure out how to do my own. I FINALLY figured it out and found something. I'm pretty sure it's Cocci, but I wanted to know what you guys thought.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

I would say that looks like cocci - yes

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yep...looks similar to what I saw at the vets in 08 when I took in a lil' goatie and her poop. Doesn't look like a bad count either :wink:

4. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Yep! I would know those little suckers anywhere after dealing with it here for so long in one of my little guys!

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Well here's the thing, in all there were probably 15 on that slide.

When I took the same goats poo to the vet the other day They said there were about 50 on the slide. :scratch:

So maybe my solution dosen't float the eggs all that well... dunno. :scratch:

6. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ashley....are you using a chambered counting slide and what about your vet, what do they use? I use a chambered slide and with those there is a formula you go by to get a epg count (check out Langston University's site Goat and research extension).......I will also share with you, I was at the vets one day during my issue with cocci......I had been dong fecals here at home, but decided to have vet do one......he asked me if I wanted to come back and take a look (he uses a chambered slide also).......he had a intern doing the fecal, she said she didn't see many......I took a look and had to reset the focus for me and I started seeing bunches......I showed him and he was like wow!
    On the fecal solution, I use epsom salt and keep adding and shaking jar for 24 hrs until no more will dissolve.......I also, let my fecal matter w/ epsom salt sit for almost 30 min before putting into slide and then wait a few minutes to let eggs float.
    Hope this helps you.......I love being able to do my own fecals.....I run them often and save money! Denise

7. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    YEP. Have you done any treatment for them?

Great pictures of them.

8. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, my vet gave me SMZ tabs since the dimethox 12.5% wasn't working for me. Pretty much had to tell the vet what to give me. It was kinda funny because one of the vet techs took out a corrid bottle and I just laid into him about how I KNEW corrid was only prevention and it was BS to try and give me that. I want into great details about the cocci and I could tell he was surprised how much I knew and finally gave me the good script stuff. lol

9. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Yes ...that is cocci but not a bad infestation. I would still treat them. I do my own fecals as I can not wait to get a vet report. It is easyier to stay on top of the "worm" problem that way. Also you save a bundle on fees.
    Good Luck !!

10. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

SMZ works wonders on cocci!
    I had a big bottle for one of my horses- and started using it this year for cocci- cleared it up and didnt come back! :leap:

11. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    What is the magnification on the slide? Those big ones aren't cocci, if you look close you can see a bunch of tiny little dots on the slide, those are cocci, but those big ones look like some kind of liver fluke possibly.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I have only ever used Corrid (Thank the lord I have only had a problem twice), and it works great for us, but I have NEVER used it as a preventive. In all these years I have only ever had a cocci problem twice, so I have been really lucky.

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yes, I know corrid works great for some people, but I will never use it. Sorry thats just me.

14. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    Corrid (amprolium) should never be used on goats as it is a thiamine inhibitor. Use DiMethox 12.5% for kids... 1.5CC for seven days. Mix with same amount of water and dose them with it. You can also mix it with a drench and they will like the taste.

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    That is the point of corrid as a cocci treatment because it inhibits the thiamin that cocci feed on, you deplete the thiamin just long enough to kill off the cocci. After treatment is finished though the goat needs to receive thiamin shots to replenish the thiamin that was taken away.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Like I said, I have ONLY ever used it.

17. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I never wanted to use it because someone told me this and then I learned just as goathappy said that cocci thrive off the thiamine in the body.

All common cocci medications reduce the thiamine in the body in some fashion to kill off the cocci.

Now I used Sulmet for a couple years till it stopped working for me an then I used Corid wtih great results. You just have to dose it properly so as to not cause issues. I used corid under my vets recomendation and I am SO GLAD i did.

I now use a product called Baycox that kills the cocci in all stages so it only needs one dose - I love it

18. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Thanks everyone I didn't mean for this to turn into a discussion about treatment, just needed to know if those were indeed cocci. :thumb: