Are these Pygmies or Nigis? (*dialup warning - pic heavy*)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlecBGreen, Jul 14, 2009.

1. I bought a herd of "pygmies" from a guy up in the hills. He said they're were pure pygmy. I really cant tell if they're Pygmy or Nigerian. Can yall tell from these photos? It doesnt make much difference to me but Id like to market them honestly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!
    Alec

2. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I...think they are Nigis. They certainly do not look like Pygmies. :)

If you want to see a pure pygmy, let me know. I can put pics up. ;)

3. OK Ill bite. What does a real pygmy look like? I bet you have a picture or two of your Rowdy Kids lying around...

4. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They look more Nigi to me. Pygmies sort of look like barrel kegs on legs, to an extent anyways. Those in the picture seems to have some dairy character.

I like them! :thumbup:

5. "Pygmies sort of look like barrel kegs on legs"

lol, id heard them described as cobby. I guess THATs what it means :greengrin:

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

They are definatly mostly if not all nigerian. They may have some pygmy in them but if there is id say its 25% or less.
    beth

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ditto

8. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Here are my show goats.

Hope this helps. :)

[attachment=4:2yslt2eo]K&J Pygmies Isabella.jpg[/attachment:2yslt2eo][attachment=3:2yslt2eo]Cozy Corners Princess Lea.jpg[/attachment:2yslt2eo][attachment=2:2yslt2eo]Bari Patch George (2).jpg[/attachment:2yslt2eo][attachment=1:2yslt2eo]Jachin Valley Mordecai.jpg[/attachment:2yslt2eo]

Attached Files:

9. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would say they are nigi's. Pygmys have a stockier build.

10. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Alec: You can send me that last doe pictured. She's no good. I'll give her a good home. :wink: :greengrin: :love:

(I'm just teasing, by the way. :angel2: )

11. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    They are not pure pygmies, maybe crosses, maybe pure nigis. The brown one looks like a pygmy cross for sure. For some reason I don't really even think they're pure nigerian, but could be.

12. Epona - lol, thats "Red" I havent named any from this new herd except the buck who I call Randy. He better be, cause he has 7 ladies to service...

I think shes pregnant. What do you think? She was in a herd with multiple bucks and shes definitely old enough. Must be a FF b/c her udders havent developed at all.

KW - I agree. Even though I dont know what a pygmy is supposed to look like, she just has a different look to her than the others.

RowdyKidz - now I know why someone called them walking beer kegs. Too cute! Isabella is gorgeous!

13. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Some pictures of the does from behind that shows their anus, vulva, and udder if possible are very helpful in what we here call "the pooch test." Some of us can tell if a doe is bred by these pictures. It's not 100% but its a shot!

ETA: I just love that last doe pictured! She really appeals to me. Be glad you aren't closer, I would have to come sneak her away in the middle of the night. :greengrin:

14. oh yeah! I remember that (how can u forget something called the "pooch test" lol!)

I saw the old post but all the pics are gone. Maybe I can take one tomorrow... shes a squirrelly little girl tho and doesnt stay still for very long. Ill have to be sneaky...

15. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    lol Epona. I personally like the second one the best! She/he is totally adorable! I agree that they are mostly Nigie though. (but don't quote me on that, I'm a Nubian girl :wink: )

16. Crissa - thats "Whitey" (inventive, I know ;) ) He is the all white except a little streak on his neck. He is SOOOOO loud! Bawls just like a little human kid!

17. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Whitey sure is a cutie! lol You haven't heard loud until you've had a Nubian buckling during weaning time, now that's LOUD! lol

18. Epona142

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    They are ALL great, but I'm a sucker for the taller, longer legged Nigis. :greengrin: