Are they eating?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by DulmesFamilyBoers, Mar 7, 2011.

1. DulmesFamilyBoers

DulmesFamilyBoers New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I think my week old boer triplets are eating, but I haven't seen them eat for a few days now. I'm in the barn a lot because another doe was due on the 2nd, and we are still waiting. If the triplets are still up and active and trying to nurse can I assume that they are still getting fed? The doe is a little obsessed with food, so I understand when I come in the barn she gets food first before the kids do, but this afternoon I waited almost an hour, and she still didn't let them eat. She had twins last year, and did fine. Hopefully I'm worrying for nothing. Just don't want to wait too long before doing something.

Attached Files:

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the kids are bouncing around and not hunched up crying or sleeping then they are getting fed

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Pick them up and feel their bellies.... if they are round and full ...they are nursing if the belly is loose... they are not eating...also as Stacey mentioned...if babies don't eat or get enough ....they will not be lively... in the play sense ...you will hear alot of yelling.... for mom and they may be hunched...... :wink:

4. DulmesFamilyBoers

DulmesFamilyBoers New Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, just needed a little reassuring. They aren't crying or getting weak.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Check the tummies as well ...you can tell really quickly... :thumb:

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I bet they're eating just fine...just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't start looking weak or mom's udder is always really tight.

They sure are cuties...