Are they or aren't they? - pooch test

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by smwon, Aug 22, 2010.

1. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Ok, these girls should by rights NOT be PG. But I have been wondering lately. The brown doe is an 8 month old Nubian. The Black doe is a 2 1/2 year old ND. If they were PG they would be due no later than September 22nd because they have not been exposed to a buck since then. The buck was a ND.

The black Nigerian doe I am still milking, but her milk has dropped off drastically in the last few days. The Nubian, obviously has never had kids. IF she is PG she would have to had gotten pregnant at 3 to 4 months old. The black doe would have had to gotten PG at just a couple weeks after she gave birth.

Why do I think they could be PG? Their bellies are growing for one. The second is because it seems that something is moving around in the Nubian's belly on the right side opposite of her rumen. Neither one seems to have any ligaments, or what they have is very non-pronounced. The black doe is not acting or looking necessarily as she has before while pregnant. They may both just be in heat or starting into heat. Although I believe (or did) believe they both have been in heat. However they went way past the time they should have come in heat again.

I probably should have waited until this evening or in the morning to take pictures, because I had just gave them hay and they were really pigging out on it. Anyway, here are the pictures - I would rather they were not pregnant, but what do you think?

Here is the Nubian:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the Nigerian Dwarf:

(she looks kinda hunched up, but that is because of the way I was holding her)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    Can you get another shot of Cali's pooch where you aren't holding her tail up?

The Nubian, I'd say possibly yes. Are you holding her tail up? Has she started an udder?

3. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Ok here is some more pictures. In these all I did was hold their collar so I could get a picture. The thing is also, even though they both are swollen, they have no discharge and it just stays that way. Cali is always peeing, but she has been doing this for maybe two weeks? I thought maybe she had a bladder infection...

Rosie ~ I am leaning seriously that she is. Her tail bone is way up and now she has developed two indents on the sides of her tail, although I didn't get them in the picture. I noticed them a couple of days ago. Although, no she has not started developing an udder yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cali ~ Now I am no so sure about her

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll probably have kids and be totally surprised!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I doubt that her ligaments are gone - you might be feelign around her tail head but that doesnt mean her ligaments are gone. When they are truly gone you will know it. THere is a big difference.

As to the pooch test -- do you have any before pictures on these girls?

5. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    With the tails in a natural position, probably not either one. More likely they are going into heat. Most of my girls are looking a bit swollen too. I'm expecting to see them get real interested in Chip pretty soon.

Rosie should be developing an udder if she was actually that far along. Occasionally they wait till the last minute, but not usually.

6. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    I do hope you are right... :D

7. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    No before pooch pictures, but I can tell you Rosie (the Nubian) was a lot different than she is now. Cali now, I just don't know about her. Because she is a ND she has always came in heat frequently when she was not pregnant - year round. That has not been the case with her this time. I do know what the ligaments feel like when they are gone. The ligaments have changed lately and are not very apparent compared to what they were a few weeks ago. I do agree Rosie should be forming an udder if she was pregnant. And Like I said, Cali isn't acting just like she has before. I do hope neither are pregnant.

Perhaps their different responses to estrus is because there is no buck around this time... I'll let you know by the end of September! Because they positively could not go past that time... :lol:

8. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Well y'all were right - no pregos here :wahoo:

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It certainly looks as though you're excited about "no" kids....will you have them bred for early spring?

10. smwon

smwon Member

Aug 2, 2008
    Northern California
    Actually Cali is bred or I am hoping she is, as of yesterday... and hopefully Rosie very soon also. :)