Are they really eating?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Honeytoto, May 14, 2010.

1. Honeytoto

Honeytoto New Member

May 8, 2010
    We have a goat that delivered on Wednesday, two kids. This is her first birth. She talks to the goats, but we have not seen her feed them. I know they have eaten a bit or they would be yelling, but we have her right next to the house to observe. The kids lie around a lot, so are they getting enough food, or should we intervene? How do I tell?

Thanks,
    Moira

P.S. The little boys rump was all gooped up with poo, which we cleaned off, but momma wasn't doing it for him.

2. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington
    I am new to all this, but the lady who is helping me has had me feel thier tummys. If they feel round and full, then they are eating. You may have to check several times a day, but you can feel when thier tummy is full.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Also, check moms udder...if it is full and tight they may have problems latching on.

4. DPW

DPW New Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Crow, Oregon.
    Just how "hands on" we get differs from kid to kid. Sometimes a doe needs a little help and sometimes a lot of help. Most of the time they're fine on their own. But there are a couple of things we do every single time. It's called "Clip, Dip, Strip, and Sip."
    Clip the umbilical cord, dip in 7% iodine, strip a couple of squirts of colostrum out of each teat to make sure they're not plugged, and make sure the kid(s) get a sip of that colostrum in the first hour. Of course they need more than just a sip of colostrum but "clip, dip, strip, and make sure they get a bunch of colostrum" does not rhyme and is harder to remember.
    Feeling their belly to make sure it is a tight little ball is the best way to know if they are eating enough.

5. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    I would check thier belly's also. Also check her udder if she is over full sometimes it is painful for the kids to nurse. Have you tried to milk her at all to check the flow. One thing we had to do with one was to hold mom and let the kids have at it. If they seem full I would just keep an eye on them