The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing some opinions on my girls. Are they to thin? The black spotted goat was wormed with Ivomec and has a stool sample done and was tested for cocci which came back neg and the vet said he only saw a couple worms/eggs and he said to worm with safeguard. I had him test for cocci because she had bad runny poop. She has since gained weight and pooping berries. I think she may need copper due to her coat. You can see in the last pictures it wants to shed out and there is a beautiful black shiny coat underneath but she still has a thick dull coat on most of her body. Could the dull coat be from just the worm load that she had? The big cream color goat was also stool sampled and came back the same as the first goats stool sample. She has gained a lot of weight back and looks better than before worming.

Here's the deal, I want to free feed grass hay along with the 2 acres they forage on but hubby said that is a waste of hay when they could be eating the pasture. Need help here..please. He does highly value your guys opinion. They also get 2 cups 17% goat grain, 1 cup alfalfa pellets and one cup calf manna plus 1-2 big hand full of BOSS morning and night. Plus I sneak them hay morning and night to!

Attachments

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
to me they dont look overly thin, no ribs, no spine...looks good, ...so they get about 4 cups grain/alfalfa/calf manna and a handful or two of boss added...if they are in milk I would up that based on what they give....if they are dry that seems fine....they all look good, coat wise, except the black one..she looks to need copper..

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Happy Bleats, they get that ration twice a day so that is a total of 8 cups a day. The black goat is being dried up and she get less. The red goat Daisy May milks twice a day but not a lot of milk from her it is her first time and she just does not give a lot..maybe 8 oz. at a time. The other three goats milk twice a day and get the whole 8 cups a day plus I give them extra alfalfa pellets if they want it. (they don't always finish all their grain).

The red spotted goat is also a first timer and is a good milker, she is half sister to the other first timer that does not milk much at all (Daisy May)!

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank nygoatmom, I was thinkin the black goat for sure, then the big cream goat could use some more pounds. I was thinking the rest were ok but wasn't 100% sure. I have been keeping the black goat up at night so she has all the hay she wants. She gets picked on by the two big goats that hog the food. I need another big feeder or two to keep them from fighting over hay!

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
HA..I thought Daisy May was a bit heavy lol...I do prefer my girls to be on the fat side..but hips are a normal look for dairy goats..and while in milk can be hard to keep in condition..

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea me to lol I thought she was possibly to fat. I spread her hair apart near her hips and low and behold "cellulite" lol. Just kidding but yea she is kinda plump isn't she. She eats the least amount of grain to. She's really picky and pushy!

·
FunnyNudders
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you nygoatmom, I like my animals on the plumper side to but its been a bit of a battle getting my girls back to looking better. Seams after they gave birth is when I noticed them being to skinny. Goats are not easy keepers that's for sure.

·
Registered
818 Posts
None of them look bad. Some more weight wouldn't hurt the does in the first post though. Copper and selenium would do good for their coats and overall health. Also, have you tried shaving down your black doe? Our's can get rough winter coats, but they look good as new when shaved down for spring and summer shows. :)

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have wahl dog clippers, and the blade sizes are different on those. I believe I used the blue blade for their body, which is the second shortest and I think a #2. For Oster clippers, I have read a #10 blade is ideal. Someone correct me if I am wrong! I would just experiment starting with the longest length, until you get it to the length you want. If your not showing, it's really just personal preference. Of course, weather is a factor too. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Number tenis usally used...go against the hair linement..I did it the other way ..with the hair and it looked like I used my weed eater...poor girls lol

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
See that sunken in triangle in front of their hip bones? That is called gaunted up where I come from and it is generally a sign that the animal in question is not getting enough to eat. I say generally because dairy animals that are lactating usually look that way regardless of how much you feed them because they are designed to put everything they get into milk.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Nice little herd of goats... The black one I agree she needs copper, that looks like my Rosie did until I copper bolused her....:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts