Are we being too picky with feet?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by hphorses, Jun 21, 2010.

1. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    I am a equine farrier and am fairly strict about our horses having their feet done every 6 weeks. (no small task I might add) but anyway, we bought our Doelings end of April of this year and the breeder we bought them off of trimmed them the day we got them.. Their feet are starting to look long so hubby and I have been going out yesterday and today taking their fav treats catching them and trimming them.. is that being too picky?? We just have Walker left and he was WAY wild when we brought him home, we can scratch his head and feed him treats by hand now and would be WAY easy to catch now but we are going to catch him in a few days to take him away from his girl friends so we thought we would just wait until then to do his feet so's to not stress him any more then needed.

How often is normal to trim their feet???

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I trim as needed. Whether it's every 2 weeks or every 6 weeks. Some grow faster than others. If you bought them in April, they definitely need a trim.

I'm also seriously picky about hooves.

3. Realfoodmama

Realfoodmama New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Santa Fe, NM
    I tend to look at feet about every two weeks and trim as necessary. Better to be overly vigilant than the other way imo.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do the same... as needed... if I see one that needs trimming ...I catch them and get er done.... :wink:

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My boys are done every 4-6 weeks, does as needed or every 3-5, depends on how fast they grow.

6. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I just discovered yesterday that pregnant does hooves grow fast and crazy! We trimmed Jackie's about a week before kidding, and now, 6 weeks later (yes I should have done it sooner) they were a mess...I won't let that happen again!!!

7. hphorses

hphorses New Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Waldron, SK. Canada
    Ok good, then we are doing alright there. I just noticed everyone in the area aits until their hooves are darn near curling up before they trim.. Which to hubby and I is disgusting but then I started to wonder if I am being too picky because their toes are just slightly long..

But that's fine we'll have the Goat with the best feet in the area then!!

I was saying to Bruce that I can see how not keeping them trimmed in this wet weather could cause hoof rot pretty darn easy... They are not so different from horses!!

Tara

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Definitely keep them trimmed so you don't have to deal with hoof rot! We have 2 with hoof rot - one was a rescue that had severe hoof rot, the other got it a few weeks ago and is almost healed up.
    It's been really wet, hot and humid here.... it's frustrating.