Are we getting close? new development

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by crocee, Aug 20, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    TO read the short history on this little doe, read is my doe too small, in dairy diaries.

I went out to feed her a second 5 gallon bucket of oak, hickory, and other assorted leaves since its rained all day and she couldn't get out to forage. I noticed her belly was 2x the size it was yesterday and much lower. She almost looked bloated but she was happily munching the whole time I was out there, about 30 min. She doesn't seem to be in any distress of any kind except upset about being cooped up for the day. Her udder is still slightly less than baseball sized and still feels like a deflated balloon. She didn't want her belly touched and usually she doesn't mind. I gave her baking soda but she didn't touch it. This little girl was tearing up those leaves like she hadn't eaten in a week. She has no discharge and is not swollen or anything. She still pees and poops normally ( a lot ). She was wormed last week with ivermectin 1% injectable orally although I did not do a fecal on her. I did that because I really don't know when shes due to kid. She gets meat goat pellets 2 cups x2 daily usually on the milk stand but today was an exception and she got it in the goat shed. I am hoping kidding is not imminent as I will be gone all day tomorrow. With my luck she will go then and I will have to pray for and easy delivery and multiples. I will get a picture on Friday since I have to leave before sun up tomorrow and there's no electricity in the goat shed.

How close do you think we are?
    Andi

2. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    Re: Are we getting close?

I swear the goats all just drive everyone nuts with guessing.
    The best way to know its in less than 24 hours..the ligs.
    Once those ligs are gone, then you can count on birth soon. Till then, they can keep you guessing for days, weeks and heck, sometimes months!!
    Having a due date or an idea of about helps alot!

I wouldn't of wormed her yet though, not unless her eye lids where pale.
    They need to be wormed 24 hours after birth as the hormone change sets off a worm bloom.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Some people worm before kidding as this helps to reduce the amount of worms in their system and therefor the chance of getting overloaded after the stress of kidding.

Ok as to the signs --- to me your doe does not sound close. Usually does go off feed, act restless and have some sort of discharge. You check for ligaments as for first freshioners that is a very good indication when they will kid. Her udder will fill up though possibly not as much as it could due to her young age

4. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest

Thats what is so great about raising critters, there are a lot of variations from people to people. :)

For me, I never had a doe go off feed.
    In fact most eat through labor, stopping only to push!

It seems like once my does kids drop, the appetites go through the roof.
    I dont know if there is just some pressure off when the kids drop, but thats how it works for us and they stay eating like piggies all the way through.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska

about ligs; there are those does that fool you, zephyr has not had any ligs for one month on today. no kids either

6. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

I have had does eat up until they kid and then 1 that didnt want to eat at all just hours before she kidded. Not all does go by the book, it is different for every goat. I have noticed that my girls' udders get full and tight hours before kidding, their ligs will be gone, their hind legs will look almost straight, they will be restless and paw the ground, and they will also seclude themselves from the rest of the herd. You should see a long stream of mucus as she nears kidding, the color varies from clear to amber color, I have only seen this mucus on one doe before she kidded and I noticed the mucus and she kidded about 10 minutes later, she was a 2nd freshener.

Hope this helps....

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

OK SOMETHING is happening but I am not sure its a birth or a headache. Pickles is off her feed tonight (she will take dried cranberries from my hand) and acting like shes contracting. I can see rumen movement so I know shes not bloated. She stands against the wall of the goat house and puts her head against one of the wall studs, stretches her back legs out and sorta pushes/hunches/stretches. Her belly is hard if I place my hand on her sides. She has NO discharge and is NOT crying out. Her vulva is slightly swollen and her udder is still small. The reason I was thinking a headache is because she had her horns banded today. She ate hay/grass/leaves/meat goat pellets/BOSS like a champ early this afternoon, but from what I can tell she has not eaten anything tonight. She also has BS free choice.

Do we have a headache or are we possibly in labor and this is going to be a loooooong night?
    crocee

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Are we getting close? Progress???

I have had does do that , standing with her head pushed against the wall and stretching alot ,,if her tummy has dropped .. looking at her from behind you will see her stomach getting lower and she is getting sunk in at the hip bone area and tail head ... looking at her stomach from behind it will almost disappear in some does........just before kidding...she could stand all night .....mine did.........those signs indicate she is getting real close,,you may also see the discharge(clearPlug) .I would check on her..... through-out the night....she could do what my doe did wait until morning at feeding time. Her kids may be shifting in her............ preparing for launch out of the birth canal.............

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Re: Are we getting close? Progress???

She has had "hollows" in her hips for almost a month. Her belly is lower than it was when I got her. Shes not a whole lot bigger in her belly but shes longer and taller than she was. She looking at her belly after she does the pushing/hunching/stretching thing and then at me, like I am supposed to do something. She looks really uncomfortable and I know the banding is not helping.
    crocee

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Re: Are we getting close? Somethings happening

It definitely looks like we are in progressing into labor. She is contracting several times per hour and pawing the wall brace. Hopefully everything goes smoothly but shes so young. I will update everyone as soon as we get to the real thing.
    crocee

11. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.

We're gonna have some babies?!?! Yaaaaaaay!! :baby: :girl: :boy: :girl: :boy: :baby: ???

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I do hope everything goes smoothly. :pray:

13. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Well nothing yet. Maybe she's waiting for all the others to go first.
    corcee

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Do goats have false labor?, or is she just driving me bonkers? I have to leave for an hour or so, hopefully she will wait that long.
    crocee

15. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA

Yeh, she's messing with you. As soon as you leave, she'll get down to business. That's what happened to me last year with Izzy. I kept staying home so she wouldn't kid alone (doe kids with quads regularly), so when we had no food, milk, fruit etc., I had DIL come "babysit" and almost as soon as I left she started, I got there just in time! Good luck,
    hope she has an easy delivery and healthy kids! :dance:

16. all1965

all1965 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    AR

I saw that your profile says you are in NorthEast Arkansas.
    We live in the Jonesboro area. Not sure where you are but Dr. Copeland in Paragould is the vet we use. He is knowledgeable and will answere all your questions.
    Not saying you need a vet now just if you feel you do at any time he is who I would call. His vet clinic is Veternary Healthcare Center or VHC.

17. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas

She is progressing. Sounds like you will have kids soon!!!! Please keep us posted....If you need me you can call my cell 501-358-1983....if I dont answer, leave a voicemail and I will call you back asap. Good luck with your doe!!!

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

I wouldn't be surprised to see little ones when you get back,,,it has happened to me to wait and wait........then leave ....come back .....there they are on the ground............... :)

19. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas

Well I am back ans shes still hanging on to them. She has taken all the hay that was in the feeder and spread it around. Shes still doing the wall thing but now shes pacing and doing a lot of yawning. Shes locked up by herself with only me for company. She managed to eat a few pellets and drink some molasses water. I have both 50% dextrose injectable and Calcium injectable if she needs it. I hope she progresses soon as I am about to fall asleep.
    crocee

20. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Sounds like she is getting ready! :leap: