The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 7 week old Boer cross baby girls have lice. I just finished worming them and they got CD T shot, and was going to wait a couple of days to spray them with Equisect for the lice.

Sometimes I bring the girls inside...if it is raining out. I put them in an extra large dog crate. They do however walk to and from the door when I bring them in or take them out. Last night hubby found one of the lice on his arm.

Just now I was out giving the babies some lovin', and my shirt ended up covered in the lice. I didn't notice until I felt something bite me on my arm, and when I looked it was one of the lice. It felt like being poked by a little needle.

Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to bomb my house, treat my children, hubby, myself, the dog, and the two kittens. Now that I felt one bite me, I keep having that imaginary crawling feeling in my hair LOL

Is everyone absolutely positively sure that the goat lice don't feast on a different species??? Cuz I got bit by one and hubby had one on his arm.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason why I was waiting a few days is because they got medicine every day for 4 days...I didn't want to overload their little systems by adding a pesticide right away. Also, it has not stopped raining for DAYS...and I don't want them getting sick from being wet from the spray and not being able to dry. I know the poor babies are uncomfortable...I just don't want them getting sick or dying from medicine overload :/

·
14,615 Posts
Apparently you have some starving lice there. You can treat them with kitten lice/flea powder.
Honestly though, your 7 week olds are plenty big enough to be outside full time. If they have some sort of shelter to get out of the rain they will be fine.;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They do have shelter, but I don't want them out full time because I'm so scared they are going to eat themselves to death. They eat and eat and eat. The ground cover, the blackberry leaves, grape leaves...and under that dip right below their spine, they are FAT. I am petrified they'll get bloat. Am I overreacting??? I am so scared I'm going to do something wrong and they will die. I have worked SO HARD to get them better (if you remember how they came to me) and I don't want them to die! It doesn't help that everyone seems to have different opinions on this and that...I can't figure out what to do most of the time!

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
maybe try diatomaceous earth, give that a sprinkle everywhere - in their pen, on them, on the dogs, around the house. it's safe for everyone except bugs. make sure you get the NON bated kind...food grade would be best if you can find it. less additives in it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried DE. Twice. I also treated their bedding as well. They still have tons of lice. That's why I'm going with the Equisect. But what if they don't dry? Will they get pneumonia??? It's been raining for days...everything is damp. It's not cold...just damp. Temps are in the 70's and 80's. Should I put the fan on and let the fan dry them once I spray them???

·
14,615 Posts
If they get a bellyfull of hay before out to browse after the dew has dried they should be fine. For short periods of time at first then longer.
Blackberry vines are good for them! Mine kill for them, or anytime they hear me trimming.
Yes we all have differing opinions & you are just gonna have to sift through it & do what's best for them & not based on fear. I say this out of compassion not as any sort of negative comment.
Yes I remember how you came to get them & the touch & go of it. You've done a great job!
It just might be time to move forward here but only you can decide that.
My newborns go out with the herd 3 or 4 days after kidding in Jan & Feb.
I once sold a 3 mo old & his sister stood crying in the pouring down rain for hours. I was beside myself, she wouldnt stay in shelter. It didnt affect her negatively at all, but it sure shook my mental & emotional health!

·
Super Moderator
58,921 Posts
You can use livestock or Sevin dust instead of soaking them with the equisect. DE just isn't going to cut it with a bad case. They really need to be free from the lice so they don't get anemic. Use the dust in their area too. Dust their area once every 2 weeks for 3 times and do a heavy dusting.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can use livestock or Sevin dust instead of soaking them with the equisect. DE just isn't going to cut it with a bad case. They really need to be free from the lice so they don't get anemic. Use the dust in their area too. Dust their area once every 2 weeks for 3 times and do a heavy dusting.
The stuff in the red containers that says Sevin on it? I think there is an endcap of the stuff at southern states. They have it in liquid form, concentrated form, and perhaps dust form.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
first off Equisect isnt a pesticide - its all natural

second you dont have to douse them in it. Just spray heavily (Ive even used it in the winter with no ill effects and DEAD LICE and eggs in less then 24 hours!)

You have it and it works, spray them! Heavily treat the most heavily infested areas (commonly the shoulders and rear) and then spray the rest of the goat. Believe me it works!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
first off Equisect isnt a pesticide - its all natural

second you dont have to douse them in it. Just spray heavily (Ive even used it in the winter with no ill effects and DEAD LICE and eggs in less then 24 hours!)

You have it and it works, spray them! Heavily treat the most heavily infested areas (commonly the shoulders and rear) and then spray the rest of the goat. Believe me it works!
Try the Equisect , I think you will have some good results with it.
And its safe .
But when I see stuff like this on the bottle...it makes me REALLY nervous LOL. How do I NOT get any on my skin??? Even if I wear gloves, I'll end up with some on my skin somewhere.

"Avoid contact with eyes or clothing. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing and wash clothing before reuse."

"If on skin or clothing: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice."

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I hear you. I'm not making excuses here about it.
It's plain scary ! Go with your gut feelings about what you deem safe to use..

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I use Equasect and I dont wear gloves..I spray the goat really well too..and rub it in with my bare hands..I brush the hair with my hand againt the flow so equsect gets down in there..The bottle has to say all those warnings to protect against suit if someone gets ill..Its safe..havent lost a kid from it yet....Lice are very breed picky..so no worries there...they mght get on you when you hold the girls but they wont like your taste lol..they will die off without a goat host..However you do need to treat their bedding and shed area.... i would also make a dry lot pen to keep them im when You dont want them to browse..a large 10x10 Dog kennel works great (look oon craigs list for a cheap used one or build a fun corral out of tree limbs..set it up and let them clean the ground for you..then it will be a dry lot...at night they can stay there, fed hay in the AM then let out to graze about 10 am when the sun has dried up the dew. Worm eggs travel up the dew on the grass blades...goats eat the grass and startt he cycle over again..so by waiting you help slow that process plus the girls are not as hungry since they got hay in the pen..You have them wormed, CD&T, deloused..you are doing great..Time to relax some and enjoy them : ) Oh and updated pix woul dbe nice too :D

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
Agree with tem having to put warnings on the labels. I rub it in with my bare hands - just wash up afterwards. No biggy. Seven dust is way more caustic! This is all natural and safe evn on couple day old kids.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I havent had any ill effects from using these fly sprays and I have been using them for years with the horses and now goats.
I just have some intermittent twitches and my hair only grows on one side of my head . Other then the intense cravings to roll in peanut butter , I think they are all safe to use :cool::drool::sick::mecry::scratch::tears::wave::stars::cheers::snow::GAAH::shrug::cry::slapfloor::hammer::hammer::hammer::flag::window::thankU:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts