Are you feeling the economy in your goat sales?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Sonrise Farm, Dec 26, 2008.

Q:

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Sonrise Farm

Sonrise Farm New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Southwick, Idaho
    Are you feeling the economy in your goat sales?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Not yet. . . . hopefully it won't affect our sales too bad next year.

3. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Yep :( buyers keep backing out, lots of people wanting something for nothing (almost), people turning down reg'd animals at dirt cheap prices, not to mention the price of feed etc.

4. eliya

eliya New Member

Yep, people are snatching up the goats as fast as they can. People want to be able to provide their own food when money gets scarce and dairy goats are a good way to do that. This past spring ('08) I think I could have sold all my goats - I had that many people who wanted mature animals. I had to turn a lot of people down. This year I already have 15 or so deposits on doelings and I'm not taking any more deposits as I only have 13-16 does kidding. The bucks are doing just as well - I have deposits on 9 bucks and 6 wethers. I was amazed that the bad economic situation didn't keep people from buying. Then when I thought about it, maybe that's what's making people buy!

5. Pam B

Pam B New Member

Oct 15, 2007
    Southern Michigan
    Yes. We decided to keep all our goat kids this year and wait until they freshen before selling. We will only sell those we don't want to keep for our dairy, which we are trying to develop because we figure people are going to be a lot more inclined to buy locally grown foods in bad economic times.

Goat kids were selling for $5 each at the local auction this past summer. That won't even pay for feeding mom while she was pregnant with them. We decided we could at least make them pay for themselves if we raised them and milked them, and sold any we don't want to keep ourselves while they are "in milk".

6. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    Yes, anf it isn't for the better! I can't sell anything any more and it is hurting my finances badly. I can't get a full time job with school, prices are going up on almost everything, and people want animals for nothing! :GAAH: