Aren't these guys cute?

Discussion in 'The Chatter Box' started by Idahodreamer, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

2. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    I had been hoping to add some milking sheep to my farm in a couple years. I think these guys just went to the top of mu list!!!

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW never heard of them before. And Sheep with tails, that just looks weird.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Wow...the horns on those rams are frightening :shocked:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Now those are some neat looking sheep!

6. PiccoloGoat

PiccoloGoat goat girl x0x0

Sep 10, 2008
    Australia
    i never thought about milking sheep :scratch:

7. Shelly Borg

Shelly Borg New Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Redding CA
    Sheeps milk makes some out of this world cheese.:)

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I will have to do some research - but I think that they derived from the "true" barbados sheep that were brought to the US and then cross bred out - just as the American Blackbelly sheep were..... There has been more and more white showing up in the American Blackbelly because of the inbreeding / line breeding. Also the American Blackbelly tend to "bag up" a little more than a traditional sheep (that I have seen anyway) and the horns and tail are exactly the same :)

9. Idahodreamer

Idahodreamer Senior Member

I think they are too---cause i remember reading an article about them in Hobby Farms, don't remember when, *just to let you know, I 'collect' magazines so many of my magazines are over 4-6 years old* anway, they were talking about barbados and blakberry sheep as well.
    so you're probably right, allison.

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    woe i love the ram's appearance!! very noble like a boer buck

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    If I had sheep, I'd have those! LOVE the horns

12. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    They are beautiful, but I don't think these sheep are cuddly. I have a barbados sheep (they call them that here, but they are a cross of some kind), and there is no way you could milk these guys, they are almost wild and are either flighty, or kinda mean. My ewe just butted my knee the other day, and it still aches! I used to have a ram like the brown one she had. They are pretty common in my neck of the woods.

13. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    There ram hurcules (I know i spelled that wrong lol) is so big he is almost frightening! but very cute...

14. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    My mom raises PDS... they are actually pretty small. She has Boers and her Boers are MUCH bigger than these sheep. Her ewes aren't much bigger than her nigie doe. Any ewes that you are going to milk would need to be bottle raised but this is mainly a meat breed. They taste amazing.

Jess
    Faint-Hearted Ranch
    www.faintheartedranch.net

15. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    If they are anything like mine, they are somewhat smaller, but they are VERY strong. My ewe could definatley pull a cart if she was trainable. She was bottle-fed, but as soon as she raised her own babies, she turned wild.

16. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Pretty sheep! the dairy goat farm i work part time at also has dairy sheep. I think they are east friesiens though. They also leave the tails on them.
    beth