The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd been locking kids up at night from 2wks on to milk in the am. 8 wks separated the 2 does full time to milk out 2x/day. Needed the pen to put the bucklings in so the girls (after being separated for a month- 12wk old) back in with the doelings. The one went right back to nursing! SO out came the tape for the teats. 4 wks later- still taping- every day she keeps trying to nurse and mom just stands there. Yes good momma, but really. I don't have room to separate them again, and I hate to keep taping but not sure what else to do.?

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
Sell the doelings. Some goats just don't mind their kids nursing. I have a doe that is still letting her 8 month old nurse. I have no where to put daughter so I have to let it go on. But I'm not milking mom and not planning on breeding her anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
83,097 Posts
I agree, even though you do not have room to separate, it is best that you do so, to get the point across and dry up the doe as well in the meantime.
For some Does, it puts the idea in her head, that she doesn't have to feed her baby anymore. But some of course are hard headed. This should be done for 4 weeks, then re-tape, let her out with her daughter and watch. It no activity after a week or 2, remove tape and watch again.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only have a few doe/doelings so they are both staying. I did have them separate for 4 wks, but needed the pen. I am milking her until at least the end of Sept. So I guess I'll keep taping maybe once a week try not to tape on the pm and see if she tries again. :sigh:

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Try putting some cayanne on the outside of the teat tape. That may be enough to discourage babies and momma from removing it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well may I interject a question here too? What's the normal way to begin to wean? I have never separated mom and baby. Baby is 9 weeks old now. I don't want her milk but I do plan to move the baby over to keep his daddy company. (We banded him.) Do I just begin by separating them at night and milking her out in the mornings? I don't want to increase her milk supply. Help!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cut down on her grains if you give it to her to help decrease the milk. You may want to start separating them at night and let the kid nurse a little during the day, or milk out a little while her supply decreases. I have one doe who automatically wants to wean about 7 weeks. I do separate at night starting at 2 wks because I do milk in the mornings.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I have so many does that will let their babies nurse I swear forever. I havegone as far as taking them to someone else place becuase the mom will stand next to the fence and hold her leg up for the baby. lol

·
Registered
306 Posts
Cut down on her grains if you give it to her to help decrease the milk. You may want to start separating them at night and let the kid nurse a little during the day, or milk out a little while her supply decreases. I have one doe who automatically wants to wean about 7 weeks. I do separate at night starting at 2 wks because I do milk in the mornings.
So are you saying go ahead and separate them when I'm ready (or rather when he is big enough to handle his daddy's bullying around) and milk mom out little bits through the day to keep her from being engorged til her supply ceases?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say start cutting any grain and milk out just enough to keep her from being engorged. Yes, as mentioned sage will also help dry her up. I put my boys separate until they are big enough to be with the big boys- or at least safety in numbers and lots of room.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I am dealing with this EXACT same situation!! I need to keep the doe in milk until October. I had her two doelings separated for about a month or two, but my fencing on one of the pastures went down, so I had to put mom and babies back together. That was about 4 days ago. For the first day or two they weren't nursing, but now they're both back to it!! :( So frustrating! I hope you can get your girl to stop nursing! :)

I'm thinking about taping the teats, but I'm worried that the babies will eat it. Will they? Also, what kind of tape do I use? Thanks!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I don't know that I've ever had a doe that weaned her babies the way a cat or dog weans. They all seem to need a little help. Some more than others.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Make a goat tractor out of 4 cattle panels. Put wheels on one end so you can move it easily. Put the baby goats in it and move their goat tractor every day.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I would like to try taping my does teats since my fencing situation is still uncertain. Will the babies eat the tape? What kind of tape should I use? Thanks!

·
Banned
43 Posts
if you want the milk and you want the doeling you will have to find a way to separate OR just keep taping.
Exactly. Sometimes there are no hints, tricks or shortcuts. Only the obvious, common sense solution will work.

This thread illustrates one of the very good reasons why it is better to bottle feed than to allow kids to nurse. I sometimes don't understand the resistance. I see a lot of people who complain that it is too much work. That mentality always confounds me. Raising dairy goats is always a lot of work, one way or another. There is no getting around it. I don't see the sense in trying to avoid 8 weeks of intense work by bottle feeding, in favor of months of half-fast solutions like taping or seperation, with less than ideal results.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts