arg!!!! How do you keep.....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by sixshooterfarm, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    the darn goats from eating the darn PAINTED osb bored!!! We built shelters for the goats with osb boered, got one painted and one that hasent been painted yet.....well the one that is painted.....they have chewed a holeinto it!!!!!! They have complelty left the unpainted on alone, but the painted one has a hole in the side of it!!!! How can I keep them from chewing it up like that, my husband is gonna kill me!!!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Love your hunny and hope that you can replace it before he sees it! LOL! That is what I do! He doesn't know about half of the things that the dog has chewed, or dug, or ...........

Good Luck!

3. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    LOL, oh yeah but man it makes me mad as well, why do they have to chew it like that!! They have hay and even grass to graze but NOOOOOOOOOOO they have to eat the OSB boards!! DUmb goats, dumb dumb goats!!

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My nice new barn that I painted "barn red" has taken a beating also! Instead of eating the OSB, Tilly and Bootsie have taken a liking to rubbing the paint ff with their horns! BRATS! :p

5. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    We need to paint ours but I haven't bothered yet. The old barn (the buck barn) has a hole chewed through it. The Lamanchas chewed the hole in the breeding pen side and the bucks chewed the other one. I figured its cribbing like horses and found that more things to entertain them help.

6. sixshooterfarm

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    I discovered that they do not like spray paint lol, I sprayed some of that on there and they havent touched it since. SO maybe I found the secret recipe lol!! It is stinky stuff so I am not suprised!

7. jBlaze

jBlaze New Member

Oct 9, 2007
    Oregon
    Isn't the real reason that we have goats is because we secretly love the irritation and challenge? Life would be so borring without their mischief. lol
    No, really, I feel the same way. Why can't they find something else to chew on?!

8. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    my goats chewed a hole through quarter inch plywood, through the insulation right through to the outer metal wall. No matter what "toys" I put in there, they still go back to chewing on what's left of that wall. No help here, I know, but lots of company in the "goats of mass destruction" club.

9. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    my goats don't chew on wood very much....not sure why but they don't. I have noticed that when I turn them out, they will chew on the trees but they leave my barn alone and it is made out of the same stuff as yours. not sure what would help but it does seem that you found a solution.

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    That was one thing I was worried about when we started with goats. (are they going to eat the barn?). well they have never even touched the barn. They have never chewed on anything. I guess because mine do not chew anything, they have to be brats in other ways. Most of you can feed all your goats together, NOT US. i have to feed them all in their own stall. I even have to put wood on all the stalls so they can not see each other. If they do they will just butt at the gate and not leave the other one alone. SO I guess you all have chewers, and I have brats :) . :roll:

11. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

You are sooo lucky Alyssa, the goats i have no don;t seem to be quite as distructive as some i have had in the past. There was one buck that jumps out at me. He was a big solid black alpine buck named truman. boy was he a beautiful boy. He had a large scur that he liked to rub on anything wood, his house the goat just about anything. Well late one night i was sitting on the computer and heard a noise in the garage. I went out there and there was truman on the stairs. ok what are you doing out. so we walked back down to the barn, truman had literly eaten his way out of his pen. he had butted and chewed a truman size hole in the wood gate.
    he definatly was not the most mannerly goat i have every owned. but when you guys find a way to keep them from chewing on everything in site please let me know! i have tried distactions, hay in the feeder at all times goat treats in one of those dog kinch toys, which is fun for awhile but then they goet boring i guess. things to play on, jolly balls tire swings. They always chew on something.
    beth

12. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I have a buck that butts everything in site but they don't chew much at all....this buck will be sold because he has ruined fences and houses.

Attached Files:

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Yea, Truman eventually had to go for the same reasons, he started getting mean and pushy, my dad was trying to fix a gate with him on the other side one time and truman butted it really hard he smashed the gate into my dad and knocked him down. After that we mad e the decision that he had to go and i just didn't feel safe sending him to someone else so he went for meat. It was sad because i never got any does from him but sometimes i guess its for the best.
    beth