ARGH.... Blood draws!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by myfainters, Jul 12, 2010.

1. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    So... hubby and I went to do the other half of our herd for annual blood draws this morning ( we do yearly screening for CAE, CL and Johne's but do half the herd and then 6 months later the other half... helps with cost. :p ) Anyways... first doe took 10 minutes trying to get a blood sample... my clippers broke so we are just using the "bulge" technique... all we got was a splash of blood and then nada............. ugh... gave up and am taking em all to the vet tomorrow. :angry: Poor girl got poked on both sides of her neck and she just sat in my lap snuggling me. That is the bummer about silkies.... trying to do blood draws without shaving is IMPOSSIBLE!!

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Gosh I wish I was closer - I would totally come over and do it for you!!!

One thing - if you aren't shaving - it helps to douse that side of the hair down with alcohol and then smoth down the hair - you can see that lovely vein pop right out!!!

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    We did that but just could NOT find hers... we were pretty much going blind.... but the hair on her neck is about 8 inches long.. LOL sooooo without clippers it was probably a joke even trying. It was such a let down though when we got that tiny splatter and then couldn't find the vein again! :(

hmmmm... we aren't that far Allison... you know probably just a hop, skip and a jump right???? LMBO! :ROFL: Definitely worth the what... 16 hour drive to come do blood draws? :slapfloor: :slapfloor:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Well - tell ya what - pay my Southwest Airline Ticket - and I will come down for 24 hours - and I promise you - NO shaving of necks and we WILL get their blood!!! Woo Hoo! Probably cheaper than a vet even with the airline ticket - ROTFLMAO

5. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Sadly you are correct! LOL I have one vet (of course the one closest to me) that tried to charge me $300 for a blood draw.. JUST a blood draw not even sending it to the lab!!!!!!! :shocked:

I did find a good vet though that charges $40 for the first and $10 for each after.... so still pricey but much better than the first! LOL

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    And how many are you doing and what is the closest airport ---- LOL! Hey - PM me!

7. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Allison, maybe I could pay you an airline ticket next time I test! :D I'd love to meet ya! :)

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My goodness! Those prices for having the vet out to do it are outrageous!
    I had draws done last August and the total bill including supplies was $85...this was for 7 goats.
    It cost me more to have the testing done!

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am up for it!!! Buy the ticket and I will come :)

Just in case anyone needs it - I will be traveling from CDA idaho to tacoma washington, down to white salmon, wa and back home - so if anyone needs help :)

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    how about Alaska!?

lol, these fatty boer necks are driving me nuts! luckily i have a couple friends who are pro! ;)

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I can do a cross country round trip - bahahahaha

12. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
  13. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Those prices are not even house calls... I have to bring my goats to the office... the $300 per goat vet is a 40 min. drive each way and the vet I use is an hr each way! <sigh> I guess I need to buy new clippers! LOL