The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little oberhasli buckling broke out of the electric fence again... He's going to be 6 mo Oct. 2nd. So, I just put up new wire, new netting to go with the wire, and it looks like he jumped it:( Great!! So I think for now they will all be running together... I just hope no one gets bred that shouldn't. Bella is more of the concern but she hasn't gone into heat yet..., and right now both bucks are too big for her they haven't tried anything yet... They are more interested in my Nubian/Lamancha girls, kinder girls, my ober wethers & my wether sheep... I feel bad for the wethers..:( Hopefully I will get some extra stuff in my big girls so one of them will take soon:)

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Oooohhh... I know that is a problem to contain a buck. I have had the very same problem. But know this, Bella will get bred the moment she comes in and before you even notice. Could you fence Bella and a buddy or two off instead of the bucks?

·
2,203 Posts
Good luck on your fencing issue. We ended up putting our Houdini doe in the freezer. We literally could NOT contain her anywhere. Wood panels, jumped. Electric fence, walked thru. Higher voltage fence, ran thru. Cattle panel, climbed. Woven wire, pulled apart and snuck through. Ugh. You name it.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I have my very first fence climber here now... my newest herd member is a little 4 month old ND buckling and he has been contained with my 2 older bucks now for a month, I had to make a prison yard out of the buck pen to keep him there! My goat panels are 4 foot tall, not one of my other goats EVER tried to go over them but Boris did :)
I extended the height with pieces of steel tubing angled inward and attached 3 feet of chicken wire over it, he can still go up the panel but the inward angle of the chicken fence keeps him from being able to go over it :) My bucks normally have an electric fenced pasture to go to but because of my little juvenile delinquint I have them in the pen, they get more hay than browse but it keeps the brat where he belongs :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oooohhh... I know that is a problem to contain a buck. I have had the very same problem. But know this, Bella will get bred the moment she comes in and before you even notice. Could you fence Bella and a buddy or two off instead of the bucks?
No, cause her and her little wether buddy Beebop goes under the fences too, and Beebop is still on his mom... I'm just hoping it all works out at this point:)

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I had a buck that would jusp a 6 foot fence. I had to make the fence taller.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a buck that would jusp a 6 foot fence. I had to make the fence taller.
I sure hope not:( I've noticed that my little ones stop this behavior when they get to be 8-9 months, so I'm hoping this will be the case with with him. He's a good boy otherwise... That's why I don't wanna sell him just yet.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, got the new stuff to make the fence taller, so hopefully I can get him to stay in on this go around....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our boer buck broke through 3 fencing sytems before we got him contained. The last one he could tear down, so he opted to tear down his shelter so he could have a ramp and get out. My husband got in the pen to fix the shelter and our buck charged him and threw him in the air. Luckily hubby is ok. We ended up building the shelter on the outside of the pen with a lean to hanging over for now. He hasn't gotten out in a week....Hopefully you can contain yours as well. These bucks are crazy when in rut!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The weird thing is that he doesn't go down to the females, he goes to the neighbors next door to eat off their apple trees and bushes:( I'm really hoping this will do it!!!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lolz I'm just glad that it wasn't my Buddy again! Ever since I gave him away I keep seeing posts about him escaping his fence and getting to the does. It always makes me feel so guilty, like it's my fault he's a naughty buck. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts