ARGH! Jasper, my problem goat....

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TinyHoovesRanch, Mar 29, 2011.

1. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Its been about a month since the dog attack with jasper, I think.

Well I have been feeling him alot to make sure the swelling has gone down, there was a really bad rainy period, to where he wouldnt even come out of his house and I was unable to check on him.

So I was over with him yesterday, and I started feeling around, the swelling seems to be almost down, or maybe it is, I tend to over react. WELL, I felt a little(very small) bump on his neck, lower part, I believe, it wasnt big at all and I hardly noticed it, but it was where he was bit, is this an absess?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Could be or it could be scarring- you might want to shave the area to see better

3. TinyHoovesRanch

So I should just shave the whole neck? And then like take a pic?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Well you can take a pic if you can't determine the cause. I wouldn't shave the whole neck unless its needed to be able to determine the cause.

5. TinyHoovesRanch

Right, ok! Thanks! I will shave the area and see what it is! IF its an absess, what needs to be done?

6. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, just shave a little big around it. Is Jasper seperated right now? If it appears to be an abscess then I would get him seperated from the other goats just to be safe. If it gets big enough to get some of the stuff inside the abscess then you can send it into WADDL to be checked for CL.

However, it could be a lot of different things and I wouldn't suspect CL at this point, but better safe than sorry. It could just be a bug big, maybe he got poked on something, or maybe it's a splinter, etc.

Let us know when you get a pic. :)

7. TinyHoovesRanch

I know for a fact its not CL i just tested my goats last month and everyone was negative. I thought i remembered hearing he could get an absess from the dog bite, he was dragged and had alot of swelling, so maybe thats why? its pretty small, and i wouldnt of even noticed but he rubbed his neck on me and i felt something weird...

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh ok, good...yeah, if he had a bite there then it may have gotten infected or scared over. I wouldn't be to concerned then it he was just tested for CL. If there is an open sore there then just put a little neosporin on and it should be just fine and heal up on its own.

9. TinyHoovesRanch

OMG thanks so much! I was actually a little worried, I checked and felt it, smelt it too lol it didnt look like anything, kinda like when we get bumps....

I will continue to moniter it, and let you know about the progress.

At first I was freaked out, cause i thought maybe the tests were wrong but we have NEVER bought from untested herds and always made sure to watch out for that. My friend also tested her goats, and everyone was negative, thanks again Kylee!

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if its not just swelling but a bit of infection from the dog bite then you need to lance it and drain the fluid and treat like you would any kind of wound. If its just a bug bite then it will go away. But not being able to see it and the fact that dog bites can cause infections I would be concerned of it getting worse and causing more problems so I wouldnt just let it be I would shave the area and inspect it much better