ARGH!! Some people....

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by GotmygoatMTJ, Jan 31, 2011.

1. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Mind if I vent a little? :angry:

So today at school my teacher was talking about how he went to like a dinner party last night at a tech college and there were very many different religions of people there from all over the world. He was talking about how he had sheep and of course cow and pig and then he said goat. My eyes lit up and then I heard everyone say "Ewwww".

:veryangry:

I then raised my hand and he called on me and I said " I bet none of the people in this classroom that said "Ew" have ever had goat before and it annoys me!" I was so mad I just couldn't contain it! Then I heard someone say "Well you raise goats!" What is that supposed to mean? It could either mean "You raise goats so you are supposed to say that!" or "You raise goats, you don't eat them!" :scratch: Hmmn, thats wierd. I didn't know cattle or pig farmers didn't eat their own...

Sorry it just fustrates me. I hate how people immediatley think that goat meat is gross because of the stereotypical view on 'billy' goats.

Thanks for letting me rant! I feel better now. :hug:

2. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

I think goat, chicken, duck and sheep are gross, Ive never tried them though, but I raised those animals and I cant ever eat atfer ive done that.

Some people just have those opinions, brush it off and dont worry about it!

3. Gumtree

Gumtree Lurking Aussie

Aug 15, 2009
    S.E. Qld Australia
    we raise all our own meat, I have eaten cattle, sheep, goat, chicken, pig,
    granted we have never have pigs.....
    sometimes it is hard to eat an animal that you've know along time but *shrugs*

there does seem to be (over here at least) a funny attitude towards goats & people who raise goats, with a lot of people, I had always thought that is was because of the feral goats in this country which are a pest is some places,
    I don't know :shrug:

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sure it is OK to vent.... :hug:

I know how you feel...yes.. it is true... the ones that didn't eat it....will say eww.... They always do.... :doh:

It's like... how can you say that ....when you haven't even tried it....also... there are some... that have had it and will say eww...but.... they were served some that wasn't cooked properly or...was an old goat.... Prepared and taken at the right age ....goat meat is really good.... :hi5:

I know cattle and pig farmers... that eat their own livestock.... I have had cattle and I raised my own ....as well as goats...... :greengrin:

You should tell them at school... that if killed at the right time... and cooked properly.... it is more healthy then beef ...pigs and chicken.....ect... and... it is growing in popularity ....all around the world.... it is in such high demand ....the suppliers ....are not able to keep up....
    Here is a great thing to throw back at the doubters..... :wink:
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0061/

5. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    I used to think "Eww, gross!" when it came to goat meat but I tried some from my neighbor's farm and it was good. Now I wish we had eaten my
    nubian wether years ago instead of keeping him as a pet, then he wouldn't have been such of a PITA today and he would have been tastey. lol

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I don't blame you, and I agree vent away!
    I have had goat, and don't like it, I tried it 2 different times, but it just wasn't for me. I've had sheep before and it was cooked by my husband's uncle - simmered in a Mexican seasoning, and chopped into pieces, served on corn tortillas with chopped onion, cilantro and salsa. It was really good! But I can't stand the smell or taste of it reheated, has to be fresh.
    I am very picky about meats, can't eat deer either! But I do like the deer jerky my step mom used to make.
    With me it's a lot about texture and smell. The texture of the goat meat always got me.
    I know...I am weird...hehe...

But that doesn't mean my hubby and kids don't like these meats, and I would fix this stuff for them, and just make me something else.

BTW, I think when I was in high school if someone had mentioned goat meat, sheap meat, etc. I probably would have said EWWWWW right away without a thought. Unless your classmates have really tried the foods, it's just the thought of eating those animals since they aren't the 'usual' dinner time meat.

Up until my son's big birthday party in 2007 I had no idea people ate sheep. And I was always skeptical when my husband said his family eat goat meat in Mexico...

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I love goat, hate sheep..love chicken, hate duck...love caribou, reindeer, moose, beef, salmon, halibut, crab, pork, rabbit etc.
    I just like meat in general I guess.

over 70% of the WORLD lives off of goat meat and milk.. USA just hasnt caught up

8. Laura??? Seriously??? you have never ate chicken??? :scratch:

9. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Trust me.... 10 years ago I would have said a HEARTY "Eeewwww gross!" when it came to eating sheep or goat... or raising them...or anything else. I was a "fancy" horse person and well...'nuff said. No More!! Now I love my horse, and I LOVE my goaties, and we've done sheep & market lambs too. The sheep and goat meat is an aquired taste and I think it has to be cooked just right.

On a similar note...everyone asks if I got started in dairy goats because I liked goat cheese...YUCKY store bought goat cheeses! I think ALL goat cheese from the stores is absolutely the most disgusting thing EVER! Ugh! It tastes like I am eating the hair off my buck! GROSSSSS!!!! But I absolutely ADORE the cheese (butter, yogurt, etc) made from fresh (Real) goats milk.... Yummy good when it's fresh milk... disgustingly bad when it's store bought stuff :sick: .

BTW If anyone knows why the store bought stuff always tastes like a buck instead of cheese... please let me know.... Nothing I've made at home has ever tasted like I was eating "buck smell" ... and I do have my own bucks (although in a seperate pen). :scratch:

10. Springbett Farm

Springbett Farm Senior Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Nebraska
    I'm with Traci on the goat cheeses. Store bought goat cheese is GACK! icky. Then I went to France and tasted some fresh from a goat dairy farm and OMG soooo good. (I even got to help mold the cheese.)

11. comingsummers

comingsummers New Member

May 6, 2010
    Northern New Mexico
    Well... I haven't tried goat meat yet, but I imagine any boys that aren't good enough to sell as bucks this year will be headed to freezer camp, so I'll be trying it this year. I have definitely heard that it needs to be cooked right, but I'm willing to give it a try. I do agree that when I was in my high school years I would have probably said "eeewww" and refused to try it, but I was vegitarian at the time...
    As far as store bought goat cheese goes; I really don't know why it tastes SO bad, but I was really worried that all goat products would taste like that. I am SO happy that all my goat milk products are not bucky at all. They taste great and are way better than anything I could get in a store, goat or otherwise!

12. GotmygoatMTJ

GotmygoatMTJ New Member

Thank you all for the replies! Didn't expect to get so many! LOL Forgot to check this before I went to bed last night and this was the first chance I had xD

It just bothers me that Seniors in high school haven't broaden their horizons and tasted what other meats are out there. When we were raising the boers and went to the boer shows they had goat burgers there. Me and mom bought one to try and it was instant LOVE! The next time was at a goat show in Alabama. It was 'pulled' goat meat. And let me tell ya, its even good (to me) with tea spilt on it! I accidently got it on my plate, ate it any way xD

Then we slaughtered a show wether that couldn't be shown anymore and we were having problems keeping diahrea off of him. Had no idea why he just wouldn't stop having the runs and nothing helped. He was good though and we had Spegoatti, goat ribs, goat loaf, and Sloppy Wether! (Sloppy Joes! When using a doe we call it Sloppy Does xD)

I feel a lot better now knowing that there are others out there that have tried it and liked it or didn't like it.
    :hug:

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome... :thumb:

I know....print out this post and put it in their faces....HeHe.... :laugh:
    Let them know.....they sure are... missing out ...on some great meat.....that is good for them.... :hi5:

14. Paige

Paige Senior Member

Oct 14, 2010
    ohio
    Ya goat meat is good! I dont know if I could eat my own goaties tho...

15. newmama30+

newmama30+ New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Wabasso MN
    Even up until we had to cull one of our goats I had not had goat meat, but when a doe I had bought to milk turned out to have chronic Mastatis that had made her worthless as a milk I decided to try it. I slaughtered and butchered her myself so that I knew that it was painless and done right. It was really good meat. The lamb went to the butcher but she was a first too, and also surprisingly tastey. We raise animals for our own consumption, and we know how their raised, what thier fed, and that they are respected until they are slaughtered. I like it better that way. Now my sister refuses to eat what we raise, and its really too bad cause Im bringing Home raised Turkey for Easter, and after being chased a few times he will taste really good. :)

16. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I agree with those who said that store-bought goat cheeses (and milk even) taste terrible. I bought two expensive SMALL packets of chevre to see what it was 'supposed' to taste like. I could barely swallow that stuff! The kinds I make myself are WAY better.

We raise and butcher or hunt most of our meat as well, a variety of poultry, cattle, elk, deer, etc.
    I've even had roadkill numerous times. Nothing bad about it all if you ask me, then again I'm not that picky. I usually stick with smaller animals though, it's more economical.

Besides, if you slather on enough BBQ sauce, anything'll taste good! :ROFL: