ARGHHHHH!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Nupine, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    No I am not a pirate, I am mad. We were planning on having 9 does/ewes to kid/lamb. We decided to not breed the sheep, I don't know why though. Our two July doelings are too young so we are waiting. Now, I see Nellie and Breeze in heat. I had seen them wag their tails a few times in the past, but now they are both in raging heat! ARGHHHH!!!!! Last year all we got was two kids [good thing they were does] from one doe. We were supposed to have three does kid, Daisy, Nellie and Hannah. Daisy kidded, Nellie aborted, and Hannah wasn't bred. But now the best does in the herd are in heat! Nellie is the CAE Nubian doe. We have had bad luck with her, first she aborted, then has CAE, and now in not bred. The other is very expensive Alpine Breeze. We bought her bred early last November. Then about 5-6 weeks later she came in heat. So at 7-8 at night we drove with a scared doe in our van, yes our family van to her previous owner to get bred again. So we left her their 2 days. Her old owner said she wasn't going to be home when we pick her up, but to just go in the barn and get her. Fine. When we get there, their guard dog German Shepard just about attacked us! It was like when they were trapped in their car in Cujo? Well about 6 weeks later she in in heat. Now I only have 3 does kidding. Stella a boer cross who I wish wasn't bred, Daisy a nupine, and Hannah with mastitis, who could die. I dought it though, the vet directed us to. We may be able to take Breeze back to the buck again, she is going to have very valuable kids. But Nellie may be too late. I don't wan't to bother the buck's owner. She, a younger woman, and her dad, have over 40 dairy cattle, 120 goats, and she has a day job. The 120 goats is said to triple after kidding season, which has started for her. You can probably see why I don't want to bother them. I am so mad, but I can't really be mad at anyone. We can hopefully buy a buck soon. I'll have to talk my parents into it. My dad says we have to make some money with goats first. I said he shouldn't have a say because he doesn't know half my 8 goats names, and none of their breeds. I don't quite know what my mom thinks about the idea. I have been searching breeders lately. My parents don't really understand the importance of confirmation, bloodlines, show records, LA, DHIR, milk records, etc. So it will be hard to convince them into a good buck. I am quite mad at the moment. Thanks for letting me vent. ARGHHHHHHH!!!!! Sorry.

2. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I am even more mad! I just found out the 08' Nationals are in Louisville KY! We almost moved there. I live in SE Ohio. It is my dream to go there. Breeze would do great. I need to get her bred like today. When is the show?

3. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    are you interested in a FF buck? you could use him on your cae doe next year and then butcher him :wink:

4. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    What is FF? I don't plan on buchering anything any time soon.

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

nationals are in july, so you would be cutting it close. Babies wouldn;t be able to be shown. When i went to nationals in 05 i had to get a non show stall for all my kids still on bottles, big pain. They wouldn;t let my kids be in the show barn.
    beth

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    FF stands for Firt Freshener doe :wink: they go all for meat here.

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Oh. I am a vegetarian so that is out of the question. Thanks though. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! OK, yesterday we tried to call the alpine buck's owner. It said he phone had been disconnected. So they must have already moved. So we called our friends who are their friends. They didn't have their new number but they gave us direction. They were good directions but they lived way out in the sticks. So we loaded the doe in our van, yes our van, and went for a long drive at 6:30 pm. We got lost many times. We finally found it. When we got there we stayed in the car because we would be eaten by their other dog a dominant male. We honked our horn and she finally came out. Guess what? She sold both her bucks to a person in Texas because she had no space for them at her new home. She would have alredy had her new buck from Michigan but the weather was bad so she couldn't. So she will have him by the next time Breeze comes in heat. OK, Breeze will be bred. Now this morning, ARGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Daisy our Nupine is in heat too! She was in raging heat. Flaging her tail, unusually affectionate. So hopefully we can get our friend's nubian buck out soon to breed Nellie and Daisy. I am so mad. So currently 2 of our goats/sheep are bred. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well sounds like you are having some tough luck getting does bred. At least you do have some options though. It will all work out eventually - don't loose heart

9. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    it does not mean you have to eat him but let somebody else eat him ;). what is the plan to get your positive doe bred?

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh and you don't have to always eat FF bucklings, who know the FF may become the best doe and her buckling will then be worth something awesome

11. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    that is so true stacey :) but in this case it would be more important to get the cae positive doe breed and not to have to feed a surplus buck for a whole year. i would not allow a positive doe for breeding on my farm.

generally i don't sell FF buck kids because it takes a couple of months to evaluate the doe and see if her son would be worth it to go as a breeding animal with my herd name on it. the buck is half of the herd :wink:

12. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah thats true, I just hate when people always say that you can't sell FF bucks and make it sound like a sin if you do so.

13. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
    Yes Stacy, that is true. We are having a buck out inm two weeks to breed Nellie and Daisy. Now about the CAE............